Wednesday 30 July 2014

'A real birds-eye-view of the roaring twenties.'

I didn't sleep wonderfully well at Mum In law's. The bedrooom is cooler than ours. At home I had put on cotton sheets,and as we found the blanket uncomfortable, had found a thin cotton bedspread at Dunelm Mill, which would give a bit of warmth and weight if needed. Mum in law and I made up her spare bed with a sheet to go over us and a cellular blanket. This was adequate for hot weather.
On the Saturday morning husband and I went for a walk round the village, bought the newspaper, then found a couple of things in the hardware store. I stocked up on Bar Keepers friend as I can no longer buy it in our supermarket,  husband bought a small funnel, and I got him a pizza wheel, as ours has gone missing. It will probably turn up now.
We debated whether to go into Bexhill or Eastbourne, there was something happening in Bexhill, but the other 2 voted for Eastbourne, so Eastbourne it was. Husband suggested we got sandwiches to eat on the  seafront. I had just helped Mum in Law open her packet of sandwiches, when a huge gull swooped down, and snatched the packet in his beak. He dropped the packet and I tried to scare him off, but before I could, he and another gull had grabbed more than half of the sandwich and flown off with it. I retrieved the rest, husband offered to go and buy her another one but she declined saying she probably couldn't have eaten the whole packet anyway. We noticed that there was a family feeding the gulls. They were the indirect cause, as once they stopped there was not a gull to be seen. After we had finished our fruit treats, husband said he was off to do his tour of the charity shops and junk/antique shops. Mum in Law and I found the ladies' rooms, then I asked if she knew whether you had to pay to go on the pier, she said she would sit whilst  found out. So I parked her on a seat. You don't have to pay, and I found there are shops. There is also a glass blowers with some lovely stuff,and I treated myself to a small flower vase with glass flowers. I bought one in St Ives a few years ago, but bits have broken off and they retired, so I couldn't get it fixed.
Unbeknown to me my camera was set on monochrome. This is the bandstand in Eastbourne
Mum in law by bandstand

promenade garden

looking over to tower


Eastbourne Pier

Sea front from pier

Beachy head in distance

 I hastily went back to collect Mum in law, and we did a little tour of the shops. We didn't buy much, but I found some lovely cotton fabric in C&H,and bought a dress length. I must organise myself and get sewing.
Mum in law wanted to try a salt pipe for her catarrh. I have often thought I would like to try one,and we had discovered that H&B do them. However they were not in stock in Eastbourne, but Bexhill had some. So I called husband and he met us and we drove to Bexhill. As we parked the car, we heard the sound of aircraft. Part of the 1920s themed event was old biplanes doing aerobatics with wing walking. Soon husband was nowhere to be seen as he had rushed off camera in hand. After we came out of H&B, we headed for the seafront, but the display was almost over. There were people around in '20s dress, and a band, so we wandered for a while, then met husband, and went back to the car.
I just managed to catch the planes


1920s dress

and more

naval band

Vintage cars

I had brought stuffed chicken breasts with me for the Saturday evening meal, so we had cooked those and had them with vegetables.
Sunday morning Mum in law went off to the 9.30 Anglican service, but was back before we left for the 11am service at St Paul's. She said she would come with us, it had been parade service at the Anglican
church where she goes, so I suspect a short sermon. She nodded off during the sermon at St Paul's, which was probably just as well as the Pastor said something quite uncomplimentary about the Fountain Trust. She and her husband had belonged to the Fountain Trust at one time.
After the service we chatted to the Pastor's wife for a while, then moved on to the door, where we chatted to the Pastor, As I looked back at his wife, I realised that the hat that she as wearing was identical to the one I had bought in Swanage, as a sunhat, even down to the colour, cream. We had seen them on sale in Eastbourne the previous day. She obviously has impeccable taste.
We went back to the bungalow, I had booked a table at the Wheatsheaf for Sunday lunch. They now do a carvery. We debated whether to walk or use the car. There is a car park, but I was worried that if it did rain we would get soaked on the way back. I borrowed a folding brolly,and husband had found one in the car, however, we decided to take the car. Just as well, as we were driving through the village it began to rain. We reached the car park,and it was torrential. we parked as close as we could, waited for the rain to subside a bit then brollies aloft, made a quick dash for it.
My previous memory of lunch there was of lots of tables crowded in, lots of people, but under the new ownership that has changed. there are fewer tables, it was not so busy, but they do serve the carvery 'till it's gone'. It was all very pleasant. You have to pay before you eat, Mum in Law paid for the carvery, as she was insistent it was her turn. There were 3 meats, lamb, gammon and turkey. They also did a vegetarian option. the veg's were plentiful, self service.
Everything was really good, I reckon they could give the big hotel down the road a run for their money. The big hotel also does a carvery, but it is always noisy and  crowded. There was a choice of about four desserts, husband had summer fruits with pancake, Mum in law had summer fruits, by request, as pancakes have milk in, they gave her extra fruit and I had a divine lavender panna cotta, beautifully served with a rosette of cream and a small lavender sprig.
We skipped coffee, and had it back at the bungalow. It had stopped raining, but I couldn't stir myself for an afternoon walk, my back was complaining about the bed! We all three dozed off, and slept for varying lengths of time. We had decided not to travel home on the Sunday, as we used to, so  Mum in law made a few sandwiches,and we each had a little low cal chocolate treat I had bought n M&S.
On the Monday morning , we spent time trying to locate a massage mattress. Father in law had bought one for her, and paid a lot for it. It was supposed to have a 10 year warranty, but had 'died' after seven and a half years. the company appeared to have gone out of business. Mum in Law couldn't remember how they had originally found the company, but from snippets on the Internet, I suspect it was a doorstep salesman.
There was no manufacturer'e name on the label, so I went for the name on the massage controller,and we discovered we could get one through a company who deal on ebay, with 100% satisfaction factor, at around  a quarter of the price of the original. She was desperate to replace it, didn't want to buy a whole new bed, so we ordered one, and got a call to say it could be delivered the next day. She gave us a cheque to cover it, and I walked to the village, picked up a Telegraph, and deposited the cheque in the building society, which handily for us has a branch in the village.
Back at the bungalow we loaded everything into the car, said our goodbyes, and left. We stopped at Pease Pottage for lunch, but got sandwiches, ate them sitting in the car, then we drove on, arriving home at around 4.30pm. We unpacked the car, and then I drove to the supermarket to buy something for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment