Thursday 10 July 2014

Oh we do like to stroll along the prom.

On the Thursday of our first week away, I left the bungalow to walk into town on my own as husband was not ready. I decided to cross over and walk on the other side of the road for a change. As I approached a road named Bell Vue, I noticed a sign to the coast path so decide to investigate. At the end of the road I passed through some bollards, into a green field. There was a man in Council uniform riding a mower, and three others were sitting on a bench watching him. I went through a gate at the end of the field and found myself on a slope near the cliff top. This was a much pleasanter way to walk into the town, and I had some beautiful views. The cliff path went right down to the lookout, but I skipped that bit and set off to try and find the way to a building I had noticed. However despite taking a shortcut through the boat park, I could not find a way to get to it, but I'm sure I saw the door open and some people in there. Later I discovered that the building is in fact The Wellington clock tower, which once stood at the side of London Bridge.
It was shipped to Swanage, but the clock mechanism never arrived. It is now on private land.
View of Old Harrys and Bournemouth from cliff path

Swanage and pier from cliff path


Durlston bay from cliff path
It was very hot on that Thursday, and one of the things I had forgotten to pack was a sunhat. So after buying and eating a crab sandwich, which was relatively cheap, but mostly red meat, I set off in search of a sunhat. I was beginning to get to know the streets and back alleys. I had difficulty in finding a hat at first, but then found a little shop with a display of rather pretty, lightweight polycotton hats. I picked one up, and it seemed to fit ok, so I paid  for it. The owner of the shop commented on how unusual it was to have someone choose so quickly.
Hat on, I continued my meanderings, and wandered into a side street and climbed some steps into an amusement park/fairground. It was fairly deserted, but I bought an ice cream, and continued my wanderings.
I found that the slightest breeze seemed to take hold of my hat, and remove it from my head. I eventually met up with husband, and we found lunch for him, then later we separated again as he wanted to look for something. I suddenly remembered I hadn't had coffee, so made my way to a cafe called Earthlights in an interesting looking building. They did decaff, so I was ok, and I confess to having yielded to the temptation of what looked like home made millionaire's shortbread.
I sent a text to husband to say where I was, but the signal is poor down there. I eventually left there, later finding husband and we wandered together, then popped into Budgen's for some essentials, then made our way up to the station to pick up the number 5 bus.
On the Friday, we drove over to Lulworth cove, it was very hot, just like last time we were there about 8 years ago.  We followed a hearse down some of the country lanes, but thankfully it was going to meet other cars, so wasn't 'dead slow' . I was sure we had previously eaten in a cafe with a garden, but couldn't find it. There was a hut just above the beach selling sandwiches, quite reasonable. We sat on the chairs provided, ate our sandwiches and drank our coffee, whilst chatting to other customers about dogs. We had a stroll round part  of the very shingly beach, watched the ribrider, and marvelled at how people can sunbathe yards from a landslip, and directly under ominous looking cracks in the cliff.
Then we walked back up and I set off up a path looking for photo points. I spotted the cafe with the garden, which I had looked for in the wrong place. Husband came so far  up, but not to the top viewpoint, pleading a sore toe. Elsewhere someone appeared to be sunbathing, almost on a cliff edge. Curiosity satisfied, I rejoined husband and we went back to the car to drive to Durdle Door. There is a cliff walk over there, but we've never managed it so far. Once we had parked at the top at Durdle Door, husband pleaded a sore foot again, so I set off alone down the chalk path. I took plenty of pictures, but didn't venture down to the beaches, as  there are steps but no handrails, and I lack the confidence.
The climb up was pretty steep, and it was hot, but I was passing young people in their twenties who were complaining and needing rests, so I reckon I'm not bad for an old un. Whether I'll still be able to do it in  another 8 years is debatable. I remember being amused last time by a young woman,saying, 'Oh no, my heart is really beating, I can feel it.' I couldn't resist quipping, 'I'm glad to hear it, you should worry when it doesn't.'
Ribrider
from near viewpoint

Portland

landslip on Lulworth cove beach
man of War beach, Durdle


People were swimming trough this hole

Up above Lulworth
Durdle Door beach

nearby cliffs

Durdle Door

I must confess I was glad to see a seat at the top, and I sat down, not realising that husband was on another seat a few feet away. Eventually he joined me, and we discussed whether the gunfire we could hear was coming from the Naval vessels out on the horizon. Later we drove back to Swanage, where we spent some time in the  pleasant sun trap of a garden.
One of the drawbacks of self catering is the cooking still has to be done, so I tend to get a couple of evenings when we eat out. I had tried one restaurant, which was full, another which didn't open till 28th for evenings, I tried a third,which was full, but the lady said they could accommodate us in the Bistro part, which is light and airy,and has the same menu. In view of the 200 foot climb back home, we decided to take the car. They were working on one of the car parks, so the nearest was probably main beach, so we had quite a (mostly level) walk. We passed the station,and there was a train with passengers seated at dining tables. The meal we had at the Trattoria was so good we thought we might go again.
We both started with scallops, plentiful and not too overpriced , then I had sea bass and husband had sea bream. We followed with Panna Cotta for me, and Tiramisu for him. We had coffee, but were not offered choccy mints, and as Budgens were still open, I nipped in and bought some.
I had tried to print out some photos to make postcards, but the machine in Boots wasn't working. I thought there might be one in Weymouth, I knew there was a supermarket near there too, so on the Saturday we headed off for Weymouth. What a contrast, last time we were there it had been a wet miserable day. Now it was hot and sunny (and crowded). As we made our way towards the sea front, we soon realised that there was a parade of WWII vehicles coming through. We walked up onto the crowded promenade. On the way over, we had discussed the day's meals,and decided to have our main meal at lunchtime, to avoid having to walk down and up that hill again.

parade





We found a  fish and chip shop, and they had outside seating, so we had the same as the previous Saturday, only this time with soft drinks. Later we set off round the streets, and separated to look in different shops. In one of the streets which runs parallel  to the promenade, there was a group of older men with musical instruments, playing 1960s hits. I have to say that they were very good. I found Boots, none of their photo printing machines was working, but as I walked back down from the harbour I met up with husband, who said he had found a photographic shop. I printed out half a dozen, as that was the number of cards I had found in my cupboard. Then I asked if he minded if I had another stroll on the promenade, as I went there on holiday when I was 9, when I stayed with my Mum, Sister and Nan, in a caravan, and wanted to see if I could recognise some landmarks.
harbour

donkeys enjoying shade

the white horse

sand sculpture

Weymouth beach

servicemen. or perhaps a re-enactment group

They still have the donkeys on the beach, and sand sculptures, I think I found the old Winter gardens where we had our photo taken. There were lots of military personnel about, and stalls and there was talk of a Spitfire flypast. However, tired out by the noise, crowds and heat, I decided to head for the car park, and rang husband. It is possible that we were in the supermarket when the Spitfire flew. We bought a bag of ice cubes to keep the stuff cool on the way back to the bungalow,and spent the evening relaxing. That night When I went to bed I made sure I was lying well into the bed, I think my disturbed nights had been caused by lying too near the edge.
 I didn't wake till 8.30 am, feeling rough,and sluggish. We didn't think we could make it to Corfe castle, my back was bit sore from all the walking, perhaps too much sun too, my hat had kept on taking off, so we decided to stay put and just have a day of rest, venturing no further than the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment