Wednesday 8 April 2015

Biking, Birthday and Bexhill


I forgot to mention that as we walked into town, a week last Saturday, I saw a notice on my hairdressers window which read 'Closing Down'. I popped in and asked why, and was told the landlord had put the rent up so much that they could no longer afford it. It isn't a town centre shop, so you would expect it to be cheaper. Actually when I was browsing property for sale a couple of months ago, I had come across an ad which appeared to be the salon up for sale. I suppose they didn't tell clients, as they would have lost custom. One lady is moving to the salon where she used to work, from where she was made redundant without notice 15 months ago, it is reopening.  The owner doesn't seem to have any plans, and the other lady has her Mum living with her, her Mum has dementia. So I now need to look for a cheap and cheerful hairdresser, who doesn't mind doing dry cuts, as with my back problems I prefer not to use the 'backwash'.
On Monday of last week, we went out for a bike ride again. This time we went South again, and made it to the M25 flyover, the path on the bank near there has been restored and it was quite a smooth ride. By the time we had got home we had done 7 miles, and were quite pleased with ourselves.
M25 flyover

From underneath

Blossom near lock
On the Tuesday we decided to go to Stowe. This was part of my Birthday treat but as we child mind on a Wednesday, we had to go a day early.
Goodness knows what the satnav was doing, it sent us on a really  complicated route. We went through a housing estate at one point! We arrived at lunchtime, and as the entrance is through the 'New Inn', where the N T have their shop and cafe etc, we decided to have lunch there and then, and explore the grounds afterwards. I had a jacket potato, and husband had a pork one pot, which was a cross between a soup and a stew.
We had a look around the shop, then explored the old buildings. The New Inn was built for visitors the the park, and it was said that often people had to share a bed with complete strangers, and bugs too.
We decided to walk to the park entrance, it is all very impressive, Stowe was built to rival Buckingham palace, all around the grounds are 'temples'. We saw many, but will probably have to go again. We went into the house, which is now a school, but certain rooms are opened by the trust, and the guided tours help maintain the lovely old building. Afterwards, we walked back the shortest route across the park and got a lift on the 'buggy', as my back wasn't so good through all the walking. Thankfully the satnav gave us a sensible direct route home.
magnificent archway

Inside New Inn

Old Kitchen

First Impressions
 Palladian Bridge
Gothic Temple, now available for renting
Memorial obelisk for explorer

beautiful ornate ceiling

On the Wednesday, after opening my cards,and a couple of gifts, I went to the supermarket and stocked up, then we collected Lydia. I tried many times to phone somewhere in a nearby village to book a meal out, but the phone was engaged all the time. Lydia had a nap, in fact she was closing her eyes during lunch.
Eventually, I gave up and phoned the place where we often go for Birthday meals.
They had a table, so I booked. when we took the children home, I received presents and cards from our daughter and the children. She had also baked some cakes, and decorated them with smarties, some of which spelled Nanny, so I had to blow out candles. Later we went for our meal. Husband had salmon rilletes for starters, I had deep fried goats cheese in crumb, we had stone bass, which I didn't know till then existed, it is apparently fresh water bass. Then husband had sticky toffee pudding,and I had raspberry creme brulee. The service was really good. We decided to skip coffee, and went home.
On the Thursday we were childminding again. No real problems, I popped out and left Lydia playing, whilst her Grandad looked after her. Easier than cooping her up in the buggy.
On the Friday we packed, tidied the house and went off to visit Mum in Law. We didn't start very early, but the traffic wasn't too bad on the M25, the way that we were going. The traffic on the other carriage way was horrendous. I suddenly realised that some schools will have broken up for the Easter Holidays, so that could have been part of the reason. We arrived at around 4 pm, and later went for a walk around the village to stretch our legs. I had taken food with me, but Mum in Law had had her main meal earlier, so she had something else, and put her portion in the freezer.
We got to bed fairly late, but I managed a reasonable night, once I had untucked the top sheet which she uses under the duvet cover to save washing it.  It was so tightly tucked that I couldn't move.
The next day, we didn't have our customary walk round the village, but Mum in law wanted something in Eastbourne, so we went there. We had lunch in C&H again, I had chicken and bacon salad, and the other 2 had jacket potatoes.
It was very windy in Eastbourne, we didn't visit too many shops, husband went off and did his own thing, we found what we wanted, but didn't spend a lot. When husband rejoined us, he was happy that he had found a Dr Who mug, reduced in Lakeland. They didn't have any at the HQ in Windermere, but I did suggest he tried the Eastbourns shop, just in case. We had parked in a different car park, further to walk, but we did manage to find it again.
We drove back through Pevensey, and once back, had a cuppa, read newspapers, used the internet, then Mum in law prepared veg, and I reheated the stuffed chicken breasts which I had brought I had cooked them at home, so it was easy just to microwave them. We had a quiet evening mostly spent chatting, and tried to get to bed earlier, as it was the weekend when daylight saving begins and we didn't want to be late for church the next day.
The next morning, I appeared to be the first up, but the kitchen light was on,so I assumed that she had been about. Just after 8 I tapped on her door to tell her the time, as her service starts at 9.30, and she answered and said she wasn't going to church, as she had had a bad night.
I sat in my dressing gown, whilst husband had a shower, and attempted to do a crossword after breakfast. Then I wandered off to the ensuite, to have a shower, but just after I had washed my hair, the water went really cold. I jumped around and barely got all of the body wash off. Brr! after drying myself, I wrapped up in my dressing gown again, brushed my hair into shape, and went and sat in the living room to warm up.
Mum in law appeared after a while, and I said my shower had been cold, 'Oh Dear',she said, 'I thought you'd had your shower'. Apparently she had run a bath,and used all the hot water. There are advantages to electric showers that don't run off the hot water tank! I looked at the clock a while  later, and thought, 'I've got plenty of time', but I'll just go and get dressed'. As I put my watch on, I realised that it was almost eleven o'clock; the sitting room clock had not been put forward, I alerted husband, but it takes 10 minutes to drive to the church which we go to, so we would have been horribly late. So no one went to church that morning.
I tang the local pub/restaurant. and asked if we could go for lunch half an hour earlier. It was extremely windy still, so we drove down. There has been a slight rearrangement, so that the chef can easily get in the kitchen from the carvery. Husband had pork, we had lamb,and for desserts husband and I had Eton mess, which was beautifully presented. Mum In law had a brownie with ice cream.
We had coffee back at the bungalow, then began gathering stuff together for the journey home. we couldn't stay another night, as I had an appointment with my Osteopath, and didn't want to change it.
we left at around 4 pm, had a fairly good run, with a stop at Pease Pottage,and arrived home at about 7.15 pm, it was good to travel in the light. Nice to sleep in our own bed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment