Sunday 19 April 2015

Where would we be without the car?

Our tiny cherry came into flower again
Oh dear, lagging behind again! On Monday 30th, I was due at the osteopath,as usual he greeted me with one of his jokes, but now I can't remember it. He seemed to think that I would be ok for another 6 months, so I popped into the local Sainsbury's for a few bits and pieces. I had originally suggested to husband that we should go looking at cars immediately after my appointment, but for some reason which escapes me he had decided not to accompany me, so basically, I had to go back home and then we drove to our local Ford dealers.
I have moaned a lot about Fords in the past, mainly their service department. We had thought about changing to a Nissan Qashqai, but our nearest dealer is over 7 miles away, not near a town centre,and we were not sure whether the car would fit our garage. This is a bone of contention where we live, there are 12 houses, the garages are in a separate block, and there is parking for about 5 cars, which was originally meant for visitors.  There is also a small area in front of the rear 4 terraced houses. As most of the residents do not use their garages,and some have at least 2 cars, one neighbour with one child to transport has recently bought a huge 4 wheel drive, and her husband swapped his Focus for large saloon, some even park in front of the garages, despite being asked not to which causes problems
Anyway, husband had looked at cars when he took our Focus for a service, and was quite keen for another look. We have been trying to decide for 2 years, so we felt it was time. The young salesman saw us looking, recognised husband and came over. To cut along story short, we  test drove a Focus Cmax,  We were even allowed, under the salesman's supervision to take it to our home and try it in the garage. The verdict was that if the garage was tidied a bit it would fit.
However neither of us fancied a bronze car, so the salesman checked what else was on offer. That day, a black Cmax titanium had come in, just over 12 months old, less than 5,000 mileage. We had a look, sat in it, it felt quite comfy, and the car is higher, so I don't have difficulty getting in and out. I really seem to have stiffened up.
We decided that we would buy it, and asked for a removable towbar to be fitted, with a view to using a cycle rack. I the end we were there quite some time, and were quite late having lunch when we got home. I still wasn't feeling wonderful from the cold which I had, the cold sore had worsened,and as I my zovirax was out of date, I had to use tea tree oil, this seemed to dry it up quite quickly.
I didn't do an awful lot on the Tuesday, and on the Wednesday and Thursday we were childminding.Thursday was also husband's Birthday, and he chose to spend the morning making suet crust pastry,and some meat puddings. I took Lydia out in the buggy, leaving him to it. As we were spending so much money on the car, we didn't go out. Not easy anyway when we hand over the children at 6 pm, and spend time chatting about their day, and Daughter's day. So I did a special steak meal, and bought a nice dessert.
The Friday was Good Friday, and we had a church service at 10.00 am, then hot cross buns. I do wish that the supermarkets wouldn't sell them all year round, that doesn't make them special. Although, pedant that I am I only ever eat them at Easter. It rained so there was no prospect of a bike ride, husband was alos showing the firts signs of having caught my cold.
On the Saturday we were due to pick up the car at 12 noon, so went out very early for once to do the weekend shopping. We signed up for a deal which gives us an extended warranty, and by the time all of the paperwork was complete, it was quite late. I brought the Focus home, we had changed the insurance on that, to third party fire and theft, and were intending to have the bodywork attended to then sell it. Dealers never offer a lot in part exchange,and we could get 3 times as much for a private sale.
The new car pictured outside a different house
Lunch was pretty late again, and afterwards we went to our local motor supplies place to buy the necessary equipment for transporting bikes. There is so much on the new car to get used to, lots of electronics, park pilot, park assist, individual climate control, the radio controls are different etc etc. I can see it will take some getting used to. I did drive it up to Daughter's to give them some special Easter treats,and we were given an egg each too. However husband put it in the garage for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment