Monday 13 July 2015

A castle in the air, (well almost)

Oh dear, I am so behind, but must press on. The Thursday of our first week dawned dull and cloudy. I had already said I would like to go to St Michaels' Mount. It is N T and we haven't been for years. So after a slow start, we drove over to Marazion. We went the back way for a change.
I always love to catch the first glimpse of it above a hedge, rising up out of the sea. When we arrived we parked and then had quite long walk to the jetty. Ferries were going from both jetties at times, but we were directed to the nearest one.
It was quite windy down there, and the waves were being whipped up, the covers were on the boats, they must have been expecting rain, or perhaps spray. It was quite choppy going over, and we laughed and joked with other passengers, in true British fashion. Safely on land, we showed our pass cards, and were given a map of the Island. We followed the map to the cafe, which seemed rather busy and full. I said to husband I'm sure there is another cafe, more in front of the castle. he said he would take the map and check. Just as I was at the front of the queue, he rang and said, 'Yes' there was somewhere else, the sail loft, so I followed his directions, and found the place I had remembered. there was a different menu, but it wasn't so crowded and was waitress service. So we ordered lunch, and very nice it was too. Afterwards, we looked in the gift shop, and used the facilities. I was a bit worried that there would not be any up at the castle, but the map showed that there was.
So off we set, via the old dairy. When I am confronted with a climb like this one. I'm often tempted to think, 'no I'l never do it'. It was about the height of the hill  we had to climb in Swanage last year, but a lot shorter, so much steeper.
I just take it at my own pace, remembering 'how do you eat an elephant? Answer, 'a little bit at a time'. Soon we were passing the Giant's well and the Giants heart, stopping to snap a view here and there. Later the path becomes less even,and more rocky than cobbled. I was wearing soft soled sandals, so had to be careful where I put my feet. The 'Mary Jane' style straps kept them in place, I saw one lady walking up in very strappy gold sandals and though rather her than me. I don't know how the St Aubyn family do it every time.There is a tram, which goes underground but that is only for food transport, and not passengers.
At the top, we took more pictures,and then entered the rooms which are open. I took quite a few pictures, then we were out on the flagged area, and I took some pictures looking down on the gardens. We had a look inside the chapel. Then I used the facilities, and we set off on the path down. We decided to tour the gardens, but then husband thought he would stick to the lower levels. After negotiating more steps and rocky uneven paths, I decided that the garden terraces were too difficult, so went back down to join him.


coat of arms

dining room, even in Monastery days

Add caption

Gardens


We slowly made our way back to the small harbour, and got on the next ferry. The tide had gone down quite a bit, but it was less choppy. It wasn't low enough to use the causeway, but they are trying to discourage use of that as there was damage in a winter storm a couple of years ago, and it needs to be fully repaired. Not easy when it is underwater a lot of the time.
We were deposited at a different jetty, then walked around Marazion, looking in various shops.We also fancied a cuppa. Eventually we found somewhere, described as a gallery and tearoom, and we sat outside, under a brolly with our drinks. We were glad of the brolly, because there was a small shower, but by the time we were on our way back to the car park it had dissipated.
On the Friday morning I went into town and to the library, to buy a car park ticket for the next week. The Rover tickets are not available at the machines, but entitle the holder to use any Council car park in Cornwall for the duration. I think it was that day, after browsing, and buying a couple of items, including a St Ives sweatshirt, that I decided to go to Beachcomber for one of their jacket potatoes.
There were a couple of men at the next table, one quite elderly. The tables were so close it was impossible not to hear what they were talking about. It was a couple of days after the announcements of the deaths of Chrsitopher Lee, and Ron Moody. The elderly chap had been a friend of Ron Moody, and was saying that he would have hated the fact that Christopher Lee was getting more attention from the media, than he was, he would have thought it should all have been about him. He also spoke of having to go up to London, and having booked a ticket, but whether he was going up for the funeral was unclear. I didn't recognise him as being famous, but he was obviously connected to the theatrical world.
There a few famous people who holiday in St Ives, the only one we have ever seen in person was Les Dawson. Of course if they are filming, such as Poldark, or Ladies in Lavender, they do get visitors.
I remember a couple of years ago a lady saying she'd had Johnny Depp in her shop, They had filmed the departure of the ship in the last Pirates film on Porthmeor I believe. The elderly gent at the next table was obviously living in St Ives.
That afternoon, I left husband watching an old film on TV, and went for a walk, up Tregenna Hill, up the steps, past where we stayed last time. The house has sold, has a different colour front door,and new net curtains instead of blinds, but doesn't seem to be with any of the holiday letting agents. I continued past the flat where we first stayed as a family, then crossed the road, back down past the Porthminster hotel, now renamed, 'The Harbour', down past the bus station, the restaurant built under is still not occupied. Then I walked down Skidden Hill, St Andrews Street, Lambeth Walk, past Soggy the Bear's author's home, then back along the wharf; a nice longish walk, with a soft rain falling part of the time.
The Saturday was more of the same, only mist instead of just cloud, more pottering. Actually,there is a shop right opposite the entrance to Piazza, and I went in there nearly every day for a newspaper, and often milk. It has changed hands in recent years, and is so well stocked. One day we bought fresh eggs, the sort you pick out and box yourself. Out of the 6, 4 were double yoked. that's not something you get in the big supermarkets.

Living statue.
wedding at the Methodist chapel


At around 10 am, the general time when holiday properties are vacated, we moved the car up to the Island car park, to a space which overlooked Porthgwidden Beach. Later, we went down to the underground garage,and were glad we had moved the car. the new occupants had a much bigger car than the previous family. That evening, as we sat reading and watching TV, the sun appeared, just in time to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment