Sunday 5 July 2015

Watchin' the tide roll away

We were up quite early on the Saturday morning, but didn't actually start off very early. We didn't stop for breakfast till we got to Sourton, where there is a cabin with seating. They used to just serve through a hatch, but now you go inside and order. I had a bacon bap and husband had a bacon and egg  bap. Mine was stuffed with bacon. we don't usually eat like that, just on holiday.
After a coffee, we set off on the rest of the journey. The traffic was quite light, and we arrived in Penzance at around 11. We parked on the harbour car park, and I was walking up Market Jew street, when I realised it was pay and display, and I hadn't, so I shot off down the nearest side street and rectified the matter, Phew! I went into all my usual shops, walked up the pedestrianised area, found that the loos were closed, so walked down the next street where I discovered Penzance Baptist church. I had often wondered where it was.
Penzance harbour


side street where chapel is

I decided to go to a cafe for lunch and Lavender's wasn't far away. So I went there, and also made use of their facilities. I had a salad, best to try and start off well. Then later I walked round more shops and met up with husband. I did have a bit of a panic when  thought I had lost my small camera, and rushed back to Lavender's and a card shop, looking for it. suddenly I discovered I had slipped it into my handbag. I wanted to walk down Chapel street, but he had already been there, so we split up again, and met up at the car. On the way to the car I had a sneaky ice cream.
We set off to go to Sainsbury's which has been built on the site of the heliport. I hadn't been in there long, when I discovered I had dropped a lens from my reading glasses. I retraced my steps several times round the meat and fruit and veg, but could not find it, so reported it to customer services. This is why I always keep a spare pair.
Once the car was packed with the food we set of for the office where we had to collect the key. That done, we drove into St Ives and found the flat. Someone was parked on the courtyard level, and they told us that they were just unloading, but the underground car park space which they were to share with us was quite small.  We opened the gate and drove in. Yes the space was small. There was a staircase which led up to the flats, so we were able to unload the car and get stuff up without too much trouble.
When I opened the door to the flat we had another surprise, the flat was smaller than described online. The bedroom is so small that the bed takes up the whole centre of the room, head at one wall, feet at the other. I don't know how you cope if you are 6 foot 6. There are 2 sliding doors, one for each side of the bed. There is a huge wardrobe with shelves, but not quite deep enough for my skirt hangers. The bathroom was small just a tiny shower cubicle, a toilet, but a huge washbasin, like a butler's sink.
It was very nicely decorated, but the living room dining room and kitchen were all in one, and not a lot of room for food storage. It was quite well equipped, but no washing machine as there is a launderette on site. At the end of the stone balcony, there was storage cupboard with beach chairs windbreaks, a small chest freezer, and, picnic basket, games etc.
There was quite a cold wind blowing, and this became really strong if both the front door and balcony door were open together. When we had unpacked, husband went down to the underground garage, and discovered that despite his parking as near as possible to the wall, the other chap had got his car in but we were unable to get in our car. Husband just about managed to open  the door enough to squeeze his bible out on the Sunday for church.
The housekeepers had left us scones jam cream and milk, and a bottle of white wine, compliments of the owners. We had a tea for me coffee for him and just one scone each, they were huge. Later we walked down to the harbour,and got fish and chips. To my surprise they did grilled sea bass, so I had that with chips, half good and half naughty I thought. Husband had plaice and chips,and we managed to find somewhere to sit and shield our dinner from the predatory gulls. One good thing that we hadn't realised was that Porthmeor is only a short walk from the harbour, so we strolled back, watched some TV on the Smart TV, used the wifi for the internet,and then retired to our 'cabin'. The duvet was a tad thin, but I covered it with the available throw,and we both managed a reasonable night.
view from the flat
evening


the 'cabin'


We awoke fairly early the next morning. The shower cubicle was quite small, and had the option of an over head shower, or a hand held one. It was a bit small for standing back till the water was the correct temp, the knob was very stiff, and when it came on it was the hand held option. I didn't mind too much, as it was hooked up, and I could turn it towards me. If I had used the overhead one I would have got my hair wet every day, but as the water is soft I can go 3 days without washing it there.
We had breakfast, the weather was sunny, but there was an underlying coldness. It didn't take us too long to walk to Zion chapel, and we were greeted by a friendly face at the door.
The minister whose preaching we were not keen on had retired in January. He had been over state retiring age when he took the chapel on. That morning, there was a preacher 'with a view'. he was a pleasant young man, there for a second visit, with his family. The only problem  for us was that everything that was sung was post 1970,and we only knew 2 short choruses in the middle. Everything else was by Stuart Townend, and we had no clue as to the tunes.
After the service we were welcomed by the regulars who remember us, and someone introduced himself as one of the trustees of the chapel, who was there taking an interest in the proceedings of helping call a new minister. Then we spotted a couple of familiar faces, an elder and his wife from the chapel in Dunstable where we have friends. It turned out that the young preacher is a member in one of the churches we know in St Albans,  a church plant from the church we used to go to, and he feels burdened for the ministry in Cornwall.
We chatted with the couple from Dunstable, then the young preacher, but he didn't know our Daughter and family.One of the members there has suffered from ill health for many years, and has been at death's door a few times. It was good to see him out and about, and he has regained the ability to swallow, so  is no longer tube fed.
Back at the flat we had a good meal of steak, tomatoes mushrooms and veg, and I soon got used to the Induction hob. Pans come up to the boil quite fast. We had strawberries and cream, and after coffee, I managed to  get comfy enough on the sofa, which doubles as a single bed settee, to have a long doze.  We were still pretty tired from the journey,as I don't sleep well in travel lodges,and husband had done all  of the driving
We were both groggy after our nap waking quite late. The evening service there starts at 6, so we decided against going. Later we went for a walk to the Island so I could make a phone call. The flats were built from stone, probably granite, and the EE signal was zero. It was quite pleasant up on the Island, if a bit chilly, then we walked back down and saw another spectacular sunset from the balcony. I wasn't getting as much exercise as I usually do, as I usually have to walk from the other side chasing sunsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment