Wednesday 22 July 2015

In the summer time, when the weather is fine

I forgot to mention that on the Friday evening we went out for a meal. I had wanted to try the Memaid, but they could only offer a table at 8.30 , too late for my liking. So I booked a table at the Beach restaurant. We both had  scallops for starters, I had John Dory, he had fish and chips, then he had sticky toffee pudding and I had a trio of chocolate puddings.
The second Sunday, both of the preachers were from Fore Street Methodist chapel, in the morning, the hymns were all older hymns that we knew, so we could at least sing. The sun had made a good return that day, but after a lunch of lamb shanks we were so tired that we both had a really long sleep. I don't think either of us was sleeping too well at night. Feeling too groggy for church, we later went for a walk around the Island, checked on the car, and then walked back across the beach to the private entrance to the flats. We managed to remember the code number for the door. Whilst on the Island we had seen people on the 'pirates tour', which it seems ends at the Island
The leader


Hayle estuary from the Island
Monday was more wandering round St Ives, then I took a chair and a windbreak down to the beach, and sat for a while in the sun reading, it was a little bit cooler than I had hoped, but when the sun cleared from the clouds it was quite warm and pleasant.
The Tuesday was spent in Falmouth, we parked at the quarry, didn't have to pay. My favourite cafe had run out of crab, so I had cheese and pickle, then walked along the streets, in and out of shops, but not buying. I met up with husband by the new development, and we had an ice cream,and sat outside the cafe eating it. It was a beautiful sunny day. We walked back together, and then drove back the scenic way, via Swanpool,and stopping at Maenporth for tea and coffee. I was suppose to be devising the route back, but must have missed a turning as we were suddenly on unfamiliar roads, and instead of heading for Penzance, we were on a road which was at the back of Carn Brea!


Harbourmaster

Maenporth beach
That evening was the one I had booked for the Porthminster cafe. The food was quite good, we never seem to get a window table. We had to wait for our main course 25 minutes, which I don't think has happened before. They were fairly busy, lots of people out under the canopy at the back.
I had crabcakes for starters, husband had mackerel fillet, he can't remember what mains he had, I had sea bass, but it was served with rice, which made it very dry. We both had the Valrhona double chocolate tart,with poached kumquats, and  yoghurt sorbet. We skipped the coffee and mints, and had those back at the flat.
The Wednesday dawned cloudy again, and misty, the wifi was not working, I spent time wandering around looking for gifts to bring home, I hadn't had lunch at Bumbles as it was so near the flat, so that day I decided I would. Husband had been for a walk, and unintentionally gone past Clodgy, and along the coastal path coming back through Ayr, not the Scottish town I hasten to add. The sun poked through very briefly, but later the mist came in so close, that we could hardly see the sea. Suddenly the wifi came back, but was a bit patchy.
Thursday was nice and sunny, I went for a walk up Porthmeor Hill. I found St Ia's well, which I don't think I have ever seen before, then I turned left, and walked along that road, then right,and right again into Bowling Green Terrace, where the little Brethren Chapel is. I've not walked the whole length of the Terrace before; then I went back down to the end of Porthmeor, and along the path towards Clodgy. There are so many memorial benches along there now one could almost play musical chairs.
I headed back to the beach and had a baguette at the West bay bakery. It  was granary and huge. I struggled to finish it, but wasn't going to leave it for the gulls. I walked down onto the beach and across the sand. I bought an ice cream from a pleasant young lad who had just started working there for the season, he was so pleased to have got the job, and I was pleased for him. What a lovely place to work.
Well

I had finished my Poldark book, and had picked up a copy of Marley and Me, in the flat, so I went down to the beach and sat in the sun, husband came and joined me and actually dozed off. I found the book amusing at first, but as I got about three quarters of the way through, I began to find it irritating. I had no desire to finish it. Later that evening we watched our final sunset from the flat. We had already done a lot of our packing.
Next day we had our final tour of the shops, I bought husband a ring to replace one he has lost. I gave into temptation and bought a pretty little winter dress for Lydia, then we had lunch, we tidied the flat, I vaccuumed, and husband brought the car round to the underground garage, he had a bit of difficulty as some girls cleaning a flat nearby had parked at the top of the slope and he managed to get wedged against their car, but no damage done, the marks washed off, and he managed to get the front end of the car into the space so that we cold load up from the back. All too soon we were saying goodbye to St Ives, taking the keys back and heading off up country. We always leave on a Friday,as the A30, and beyond can be nightmare  on a Saturday.
We headed for Port Isaac. I have been wanting to go there for years, long before the TV show started. the last time we were going there was about 17 years ago, but we didn't get beyond our visit to Padstow, where we had lunch and then we ended up in Launceston for tea.
We managed to find the Council car park as our ticket was still valid, and walked down a path, to the pretty little harbour, where we could see quite few large vans parked at the harbour.  I stepped forward to take a picture, only to hear a voice say, 'Excuse me love, we are filming, or we will be in a minute'. I looked around to see a camera crew, and sitting nearby was Ian McNiece, otherwise known as Bert Large. A few minutes later John Marquez, or PC Penhale appeared. We watched for a while as they filmed for about 2 minutes, then shouted 'cut'. They did this a few times. we went in search of tea and coffee, but couldn't find anywhere serving it. So we watched the filming for a bit longer, then walked back up the path, got in the car, and drove on. We tried the cafe at Stourton, that was closed, but the petrol station did take away teas and coffees, so at least I had something warm and wet although I'd rather not have my PG Tips in cardboard. We arrived at Taunton Dene, checked in the lodge, then went over to the cafe area for food. The ironmonger in St Ives had managed to get us a cup boiler, but it worked off the car socket I didn't fancy drinking my Ovaltine  in the car, so gave it a miss. I managed to get some sleep, but it wasn't a good night's rest.
Sorry this is so late haven't found time to add the photo's

No comments:

Post a Comment