Monday 19 April 2010

A Monday Miscellany

Well the weather has been a bit strange lately, we have had some lovely sunny days, but at times, like this afternoon it has clouded over, and underlying even the sunniest days has been a cold wind. Our numbers were down at ladies' meeting on Thursday, we were a very select few. One lady went out to pick up our oldest member, who had been missed because her normal lift wasn't there. The school holidays were still on, so the young mums were busy entertaining their offspring.
I was late as I had been making cakes for the church to take to the opening service for the new evangelical library. Eventually we were all assembled and the pastor was able to begin. Continuing our series on women of the bible , he spoke about the widow of Zarephath; as usual he brought out points that we may not have considered before.
On Friday I managed a longer walk than usual, but then that leaves less time for housework. On Saturday we walked down to town, bought M&S sandwiches again and sat in the Water gardens again, the seats were all full so we sat on the edge of the grass. We both had abit of difficulty getting up again, old age you see. In the afternoon we popped out to the garden centre, for acouple of things and ended up bulk buying bark chippings for the front. We are getting there very slowly.
Husband also potted some flower seeds and put them in the mini greenhouse. 'Our' blackbird has been very vocal lately, so much so that folk who ring me are commenting on his song. He is getting very territorial, as when the robin landed on the bird table on Saturday, he swooped down, so that the robin flew off. Not that long ago, when it was very cold and snowy and they were very hungry they would be on the table together.
This morning when I went out to the front, something, presumably a blackbird had been at one of the pots for insects and I had to clear up compost which had been scattered.
Yesterday was a quiet day, we ate in the garden for the first time this year and very pleasant it was too. it's so much better having the patio, as the plates no longer try to slide across the table. We have installed more solar powered lights , in particular 2 strings, so after dark the garden still looks pretty, (or naff, depending on your point of view). I managed a walk along the canal and at one point saw 9 swans all together, I thought of the old Christmas song, but then realised that says seven swans a swimming.
I don't think I am sleeping too well, I seem to wake very easily. On Saturday the blackbird was in full song at about 5 am, he was so clear, and the window was shut. My weight seems to be fluctuating at the moment, but at least it is not on the up and up.I can still get into my summer wardrobe, but too much gain and I wouldn't.
we had 2 very good services yesterday with communion in the evening. The pastor is very challenging in his preaching.
Thy family were travelling back from New Word Alive yesterday, they had had a good time, but not a very good journey back. It's good to know that the Lord kept them safe, and they made new friends too. I just hope they don't come down with too much of a bump.
I must get some weeding done soon, one of the beds with daffs in seems overrun. My excuse is that I can't find my kneeler and as I have knobbly knees weeding gets painful.
It's nearly home time for husband so I must away. Got to think of a title for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment