Monday 5 April 2010

Not much eggstra to report.

Well it has been a fairly quiet weekend, husband's Birthday was on Friday. He opened his cards, and we went to the 10am service at church. We called in at a newspaper shop and had a look round our local Homebase. We spent some time potting things, husband planted some tomato seeds, he has got a growbag which he wants to put on the patio. We haven't grown tomatoes for years. My memory is of picking green tomatoes late in the season, and desperately trying to skin them to make green tomato chutney. I complain that come summer, if it does, we won't have room for the table and chairs on the patio.
Daughter and Son -in-Law popped in with a gift, then left for Bexhill to see Grandma. Later Son and Daughter -in-Law popped in for a while on their way to Cardiff. Husband did not want to go out anywhere for a meal. I'd offered him afternoon tea somewhere, or our local Michelin starred restaurant, but he settled for home made fish pie and Sainsbury's raspberry trifle. I had got two number candles, as at our age if you put candles enough for our years, you would not see the cake and the icing would melt with the heat. So we had a piece of the small chocolate Birthday cake, then afterwards settled down to watch the first instalment of Our Mutual Friend, which daughter and Son -in Law had brought as part of my Birthday present.
Saturday was a slow start but we eventually got going. We spent a while at Discount tyres getting a tyre fixed, as the Focus had a slow puncture.Who I wonder scatters all these screws on the road? The manager told us they had fixed 50 tyres that week. He was very good and bought us a coffee from their machine.
Then into town to do the boring shopping, getting sandwiches from M&S which we ate in the garden centre car park. We had to go to the garden centre again as husband needed something, and I found a nice blue pot to put some flowers in outside the front door.
Back home we did some more potting and pottering, then after phoning my sister, and spag bol, it was more 'Our Mutual Friend'; the plot is beginning to unfold.
Yesterday was church twice, lovely rousing Easter hymns, Roast lamb and an afternoon doze. I didn't get out for a walk as when I woke up I was so zonked that I thought it was an hour later than it actually was, if that makes sense. I had bought husband some mini eggs and a Lindt rabbit. I think he felt guilty. I always say no eggs for me please they are overpriced and they do my waistline no good. He did give me a creme egg, which someone had given him, I did eat it but find them too sweet these days.
I regretted the nap later as I could not sleep. I also regretted the piece of M&S foccacio which husband had thoughtfully heated up for me. It was lovely to eat but too much after church and before bed.
Today we walked to Sainsbury's together, picked up a few things, had a salad lunch, then more gardening. I have been pulling up Spanish bluebells, which we accidentally planted about 28 years ago. the packet said Canterbury Bells but we were deceived. Every year now we pull as many up as possible as they spread like wildfire. Mum-in-law had them at the bungalow when they moved there, but gradually managed to get rid of them. Weedkiller does not work. Our friendly blackbird came down whilst I was working and was chatting away, I filled the bird table again, and then watched as he found a nice fat juicy worm I had unearthed and devoured it. Happy days. The robin came to visit too, I think Mr Blackbird had spread the word that we were digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment