Thursday 1 April 2010

No time on my hands.

I don't know if I mentioned it on my blog, but I had two watch straps break on me just before we went to the Lake District. this meant that I did not have a watch to take away with me. In Kendal on our anniversary I popped into a jewellers and bought  a watch, so that I could keep track of time whilst we were there; I would have hated to miss dinner.
For some reason this watch has stopped 3 times in the last week Whether it didn't like going forward an hour, or whether it got wet in the water tank last week I do not know, but it is supposed to be water  resistant. I had better have the old spare Timex fitted with a new strap, I bought that one when I worked at the hospital part time and as I was arranging Transport for patients needed a watch to check if  driver was late if a patient complained that they were.One morning I had forgotten my Rotary watch so slipped into a jeweller's and bought the Timex.
It is easier to replace the strap from that one. I do like the Rotary straps,and when I need a new one the conversation in H Samuel usually goes like this: Me: 'I'd like a Rotary watch strap please.' Assistant; 'our range of watch straps is over there' 'Me: do you have a Rotary watch strap?' Asst: 'our range of watch straps is over there'. Me:'Yes, but do you stock  Rotary watch straps?' Asst: 'Ooh no, we don't stock those we have to specially order them, they are expensive' . Me: 'Yes, but I would like to order one'. Asst: 'just a minute I need to talk to my supervisor' Me: (silently) Aaaaaaargh!
My husband who also has a Rotary among his collection  managed to order one online. Maybe I should try, but last time I googled them I didn't get too far.
It has been a fairly uneventful week, the usual mundane stuff, but I did have late night visitors last night. Daughter and Son-in Law brought the missing DVD from my Birthday present, a Dickens DVD. 'Our Mutual friends' Husband and I have been going through a Dickens phase recently. We tend to watch the videos together, then I read the book..
 He has been struggling to read Martin Chuzzlewit for ages, and reckons he needs to watch the DVD to get him into the book. We had an Austen fest a while ago when we bought several of her books and swapped them about. It's funny, but I could never get into North and South (Mrs Gaskell) until I'd watched the series on it, then it was plain sailing, although most of the references to God and religion were omitted from the TV series,
 The weather has been pretty awful lately, rain, wind and more rain. Pleased to have my new line I hung out 7 shirts the other day, but had to rush out and grab them as it suddenly poured. It has been so cold here I have reverted to a winter nightie and bedsocks. I cannot sleep with cold feet.
Today dawned bright and clear, a blue sky, sunshine and daffs nodding in the breeze. I whipped the towels out of the machine on to the line.
Just before lunch I went out to Sainsbury's there was a biting wind and gathering grey clouds. I was glad of the gloves in my pocket. I came in the back way, and noticed that the towels were nearly dry, but felt an odd spot of rain. The daffs were looking a bit beaten down too. I made a quick stir fry, and then looked out and it was pouring. The towels will now need finishing in the tumble dryer.
I have somewhat neglected the housework as I have been poring over the jigsaw again and knitting scarves. I did pull out the sofa though to look for any stray pieces, and vaccuumed under there whilst I had it out. It never ceases to amaze me how pristine the carpet is under there, whilst the rest looks grubby. Note to self ' If and when weather improves hire a carpet cleaner'
 My Birthday chocs are now finished, but there is further temptation afoot. It is husband's Birthday tomorrow and I have bought a small chocolate cake. He does love his chocolate cake. Once upon a time I baked him one every week, but then as his 32in waistline began to expand I stopped baking them.  Now not even I have a 32in waistline! When I joined Cheshire police at 21 I had a 25 in waist, but not for long.
Well it's good Friday tomorrow, church at 10.00 am. It's just the two of us this weekend, and we are hoping, weather permitting to do some gardening. At least we haven't got snow. It's more likely at Easter than Christmas apparently. My poor sister in North Wales had been without electricity for about 24 hours apart from 10 minutes. It is being blamed on the weather, but I don't think they have snow. Daughter still has not had her boiler fixed. Landlords!
Well I hope you all have a lovely Easter, and try to remember it's not really about chocolate and bunnies. It's about the death and resurrection of Christ. Happy Easter.
PS Just reset watch to correct time and gave it a slight tap on desk. It is now working

No comments:

Post a Comment