Thursday 6 May 2010

My long weekend away.

Well the reason I haven't blogged lately is because we took one of our twice annual trips to see my sister and family in North Wales.We didn't go for the whole week as husband had a week off in March for our anniversary tripe to the Lakes. We went up on Saturday, didn't start till lunchtime but had a good run and the M6 was quite clear. We had to pick up the key from elsewhere this time, as the cottage owner was away.
We had quite a lot of rain on the way up, and when we got there I couldn't seem to get warm. We set off for a small church in Rhuddlan on Sunday, but guess who got the time of the service wrong? I couldn't face going in 10 minutes late, so we went back to the cottage and listened to a sermon on the ipod. We went out for Sunday lunch so much easier than me cooking it. We spent the afternoon and evening at my sister's, and saw a few of her family.
On Monday we braved the crowds at the Victorian Festival in Llandudno, and are pleased to report that our favourite place for lunch, Tiffany's has survived the recession. One high spot for me was meeting the lady who was team cook on the UBM teams in New Quay back in the 70s. I haven't seen Ros since 1978, when I arrived on a Friday evening only to be told by Ros that she was off home and there was no team cook for the next week, and would I like to do it? We muddled through, I cooked for a team of 15, with help.I was also team accordionist, but my accordion playing was very basic. I can still play 'He made the stars to shine' though.
These days if you are a team cook you are not expected to go to the beach as well, but certainly in St Ives they have a picnic at lunch and not a two course cooked meal. they are not so rigid about supper either, more hot chocolate and biscuits than bread and spreads with cocoa, or Cornish pasty which was left over Corned beef  and potato pie. ( and we didn't have a fridge!) Those were the days!
Ros was with the evangelical church, dressed as a Victorian lady and giving out tracts. I didn't take her picture, so as not to embarrass her. I visited 3 shoe shops and didn't buy a single pair!
Tuesday we went into Rhyl, husband visited the barber, and I went in a couple of shops. Then onto the promenade to take some photos, will have to post some on here. We hadn't been sleeping well, strange bed, and despite the sunshine on Monday and Tuesday there was a very cold wind. We went back to the cottage and had a doze. My sinuses had been playing up before we went there so I had started some steam inhalations. the problem got worse and gave me a cough. I also developed a more personal problem, so in a way couldn't wait to come home.
Wednesday dawned misty and drizzly, we cleared up and packed the car, and were glad to be on our way. Although once we hit the A55 the weather gradually cleared. We got home before 4 and unpacked the car. as I was feeling ropey husband came with me to Sainsbury's. He got himself a ready made curry, but I just had a cup a soup. That is how bad I was feeling. I crawled into bed just after 11 but had to get up again as I couldn't stop coughing.
Today I managed to get a Doctor's appointment this morning as it was open surgery. I now have an antibiotic, and  a treatment for the other problem. I am a bit cross as there is a better stuff I could have had which would have cured it quicker, but I suspect she is trying to save money for the health service.
Our Son had 2 disappointments yesterday, he had a phone interview for a job, but then got an e-mail to say he was unsuitable. No feed back. He also is not eligible for Jobseekers, as he doesn't have enough contributions  from the last 2 years when he was at uni. I am so cross because someone whom I know is on benefits, so is her 'partner', she is pregnant for the second time and will receive £500 of taxpayers money to spend on the baby. A friend of hers is on her third child, and so far has had £1500!
I digress. I came home after the Doctor's and an hour later set off for the cardiology clinic. I am now 'wired up' for 24 hours, can't have a shower in the morning, but am relieved to know that the echocardiogram does not involve a treadmill, I shall be lying still so am less likely to have an adrenaline rush with the attendant problems.Well Husband is on his way home and we will be off to exercise our democratic rights, or whatever. I don't suppose much will change.One lot of sinners out another in.
Will upload some pics later.

No comments:

Post a Comment