Sunday 28 November 2010

No deep, but much crisp and even


I was looking through some of last winter's pictures to see if I could use any to make cards when I came across these pictures. Thankfully we haven't had as much snow as this yet, but it seems so little time since last winter, although much has happened. In fact we have had some heavy frosts this week and 2 light dustings of snow. I was feeling a bit down again on Monday, still haven't caught up on my sleep debt and fed up with never reaching the bottom of the ironing basket, so I thought I would pay the ironer's a visit. I took a fully loaded bag with me. It is not something I do regularly these days, but I started going there when I had a bad right shoulder, and then when my disc was bad I went a few times. The proprieter was glad to see me, I think there has been a drop off in trade since the recession started. So I thought, 'well I am helping keep him in business'.
Of course it was so near that I couldn't resist popping in to see Daughter. We had spent a pleasant hour or two with them after church on the Sunday evening. Baby  is always glad to see me, and I think Daughter is. She can leave him with me whilst she does other things. Poor little chap still has a nasty cough though, and the cattarh makes him bring back milk, so as I've seen him a few times this week, I have also ended up with a few changes of clothes.
On Tuesday I drove over to our nearest Hobby craft to buy some card making stuff, I'm not doing many this year as I've left it too late. The morning seemed to fly by. On the way back I called in at our local washing machine repairer's to see if they had a door spring in stock. I've been having trouble getting the door to close and my washing machine beeps annoyingly if the door isn't closed properly, so I had taken it apart, and as I did noticed a bit of the spring was broken, as I examined it another bit broke. He didn't have the part  in stock and offered to order it, ''S'ok', I said,' I can do that online'. He had confessed to not being really au fait with computers.
Wednesday was busy, Sainsbury's, parent and toddler's, then up to collect the ironing. I also called in on Daughter as I had been unable to contact her. She has been having sleepless nights with baby, but sometimes if he sleeps she can't, so her days are a bit hit and miss at present. I told her about the problems with my washing machine, and she offered to do a load for me.
On Thursday I managed to get to Ladies' meeting, a book/ bible study on Jepthah's Daughter, we are going through 'Contagious Christian living' by Joel Beeke, a series on which he preached at the Aber conference one year. We had quite a lively discussion over whether Jepthah's promise was 'rash', and marvelled at his Daughter's obedience. Someone quoted from a poem by Tennyson in which he refers to Jephthah's Daughter, which prompted the comment, 'People knew their bibles in those days'.
I forgot to mention that husband came home complaining of a cold on Tuesday evening, so I hit the Vick's First Defence. As I write I am still cold free. He brought his work laptop home with him, but he was officially off sick on Wednesday and Thursday.
Daughter came round after I'd been to Women's hour, she had taken Baby for his appointment at Watford hospital, about his umbilical hernia. the consultant was fairly dismissive, saying ' I'll eat my hat if that's not gone by the time he's three' (I've just thought of a wicked response, 'would you like fries with that sir?'). He will arrange an appointment in a year's time to check progress. He says it will 'just disappear one day'. I hope he is right, I believe someone in the family still has one at 15. Daughter stayed till we got a call from her husband asking where she was, and she departed with a basket of my washing. I said I would fetch it when it was done, but when she rang I had just finished my meal, and it was cold, so I said I would go on Friday.
Before I went to bed I made myself a hot blackcurrant drink. Husband had had one, but I forgot to check the water level. I soon realised, but too late. The element had gone and as it is a concealed element.....I had to use saucepan to boil the water.
 On Friday I picked up the washing, went into town and to the local retail park, but no one does the same model. I came home and tumble dried most of the washing.  I went online to search for the kettle, and got down my old one which I had way before I met husband. It scrubbed up quite well, I put a plug on it, got some of the scale out and it worked. It's a bit slow, but boils quite quietly, and  doesn't switch itself off.  When I first had it automatic kettles were in their infancy, expensive, and not trouble free.
I also  got the bed ready in the spare room for a fleeting visit next week from our Son, he is staying overnight on his way to somewhere. It will be nice to see him. Husband came home with no voice and a hacking cough.
On Saturday morning I shopped alone, I took the car as we had had a dusting of snow, and after my fall last January am wary of slipping.I was home quite quickly, then later after lunch, and as the spring had not arrived, I reassembled the washing machine door and managed  to force it closed for long enough to do 3 loads. I was fed up with an over flowing washing basket in the bathroom and being knee deep in washing.
I went to church alone this morning, a good sermon on  the 9th commandment. I wrapped up warm. but it was so cold most kept their coats on during the service. Our thermometer has not gone above freezing all day. Global Warming anyone?
In my bible notes this morning it was suggested that we should  'pray for the gift of calmness for the day' So that's where I have been going wrong obviously.  If I remember to do that  every day I may become less of a grumpy old woman.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly the old kettle died this afternoon whilst I was making a cup of tea. The element has gone. still it had a good innings, hey ho there's always the camp kettle.

    ReplyDelete