Monday 8 November 2010

part two of the week

On Wednesday I also took my shoes in for repair, we have an old fashioned shoe repairer near here, so he always gets my custom, sadly some of the shoes we buy these days cannot be repaired. He still keeps going despite the heel bar in the town centre, and the Timpsons. I also took in a repeat prescription form. I don't know how but some of my thyroxine must have got squashed and were powder when I popped the foil.I  had also decided to order some boots online, having ascertained the calf size by e-mail
On Thursday I didn't have  particularly good day, have  had a few nights when I haven't slept again. We didn't have a proper ladies' meeting, a local Christian book shop brought their bookstall, so they were there from 11 till 3. I managed to get there and bought more Christmas cards and a couple of books so that I have something to read for our book reviews.
I didn't buy any as Christmas presents as their stock was a bit limited and I'm not altogether sure of people's tastes. Friday was a parcel day, I got some china in a huge box in the morning, I had been browsing the internet and come across some Poole pottery 'Springtime'. We bought  the teaset to use for visitors with some  of our wedding gift money.  We were unable to afford the dinner plates before it became discontinued. when we visited Poole pottery it was in their museum! All of the cups and most of the saucers got broken, but I have now manged to replace them. I was knee deep in packing beads, it was all so well packed. I have spotted some teaplates on ebay so am watching those. I think the sugar bowl was broken too. This was sometimes the cause of much hilarity. It was the same size as the cups, and occasionally we would accidentally serve tea in it. The faces of the guests who had it were a picture as they turned it round and round looking for the handle. Maybe we should try and find the sugar bowl.
Later I started collecting Johnson Bros Summer Chintz, a sure sign of our increased affluence that I managed to collect 12 of everything before it was discontinued. I still buy up bits when I see them and we have a matching tablecloth, how naff is that? Sadly we now do not have many potteries left in this country. When our son was doing teaching practice a couple of years ago he was in a school where the local kids would have gone into mining or the potteries, now they have no prospects and as a result are hard to teach as they do not see the point of education.
Speaking of which, our son has managed to find work, but it is part time and in an optician's. He uses the 'air puffer' machine and does retinal photography as part of his job. He is still waiting to hear if he has been short listed for another job. Many jobs these days want 2 or 3 years experience, but how does one get experience  if no one wants to train anyone?
I digress. The second parcel was the baby's new trousers, so I went to collect my prescription then called in at daughter's to deliver them. I couldn't make her hear so let myself in. baby was asleep on the sofa, and I soon found Daughter, clad in wellies and a waterproof. She was weeding just outside the French windows, in the pouring rain. She was close enough to see baby, but he was fast asleep, till I spoke loudly and he woke up. I stayed a while whilst she fed and changed  him, then I managed to rock him to sleep again. They had had a bad night with him again. he does seem to feed a lot. When I got home there was a note saying my boots had been delivered next door. They fit and I wore them for church last night as my legs had been cold out of doors in the morning
Saturday I went off for my flu jab for 8.30 am. I was about 9th in the queue. T hey were expecting 900. We walked into town and got the bus up,  we didn't buy as much in Marks, but I still didn't buy butter for my Christmas cake, so later went to Sainsbury's. Yesterday Daughter and Son in Law came for Sunday lunch, but Baby slept most of the afternoon. They stayed on as he had a nappy change just as we were leaving for church, which meant a whole change of clothes. We had a late tea together and got many cuddles and gurgles from baby, especially when we sang to him. For some reason he appreciated Widdecombe Fair, harmonised by 3 of us. I'm sure daughter's husband thinks we are potty,- he could be right. We did on Ilkley Moor baht  'at for an encore. Mad? who? us ?

No comments:

Post a Comment