Sunday 30 January 2011

Bordering on insanity

In some ways I am glad that last week is over. Monday was a very frustrating day. I was trying to find a piece of wallpaper border, and put some stuff back in a cupboard, which was moved when we had the radiators done.
When I decorated the kitchen diner some  time ago, husband had wanted to channel some speaker wires into the wall, so I left the paper with no border in the middle. We have realised that this job is not going to get done as he only has Saturdays free, so a while ago I asked if it was ok if I put the border up.
I have been gearing myself up to do it, and decided Monday would be the day. The only bit of border I could find was about 6in too short. I knew I had more, but could not find it where I thought it  was. So I began emptying boxes and refilling the cupboard wondering if the border would turn up. I must have changed the cupboard around a bit because it is almost full and there is another box yet to go.  I also almost emptied the under stairs cupboard and got rid of a load of plastic bags
When I went  out, I called in at Homebase to see if they still have the border. There was no sign of the paper at all. I called at the info desk, and they gave me the number of the head office. Tuesday morning I rang, but although I didn't have the pattern number of the border, I had the number of both papers used, and gave them the one that had the same pattern as the border. They very helpfully gave me a list of stores which still did that paper. After lunch, unable to find all of the bits to the satnav I bought, after having a difficult trip to Luton to pick up a sink, I downloaded some maps and set off for High Wycombe. It wasn't a very pleasant day, rain and more rain, but I duly managed to find my way to the Loudwater, Wycombe store which is located under  a junction of the M40. I soon realised that whilst they had the floral paper, there was no sign of the striped paper or the floral border. Obviously having two contrasting papers with a border in the middle has  gone out of  fashion but no one told me.
I decide to try one more store, Watford, which I could divert to on the way home. I hadn't gone there first as I was told they had only one roll there. By the time I got to Croxley Green it was schools chucking out time, so I had a slow crawl to Watford. I am sure that the store there has moved slightly, it certainly is a lot bigger. However it was the same story, although a lot more than one roll, they only had the floral paper. What to do now?
I had not been worrying about my hospital test, till I woke up on Wednesday morning.  I had the usual butterflies in the stomach, but tried to ignore them as I prepared for my weekly Sainsbury's trip. As I left Sainsbury's I realised I had several hours to fill, so decided to visit Daughter. After about an hour of enjoying playing with Grandson, I came home and unpacked the shopping. I had soup for lunch, I was allowed to eat and drink, but they suggested a snack lunch.
All too soon it was time for me to go, and I set of to walk, hoping that would keep my BP down. It was a horrid day again, and I duly arrived at the unit as I thought 10 minutes early, only to be told that in the appointment book I was down as 3.00pm, whilst the letter I had been given was 3.15. They said, 'no matter, we are running late anyway'. I tried to relax in the waiting area with a magazine, but the magazine articles were anything but relaxing. The nurse came and went through everything with me, I signed the consent form and opted for no sedation. She said she would find me a trolley as soon as one of the sedated patients woke up enough to be discharged. I had decided against sedation because the test was supposed to be a short one, and I didn't feel like being 'hungover' for 24 hours. Soon I was having my BP checked, it was up, what a surprise!! I put on the hospital gown and got on the trolley for the preparation bit. After all that was over, the nurse took my BP again and it was still high but coming down. Soon they wheeled a sedated patient out and placed her in the cubicle next to mine. I could see through the open doors, but tried not to look. The nurse took my trolley in and I was allowed to walk in.
Everyone was so nice and tried to put me at my ease, but I have to admit that that the test was quite uncomfortable, just about bearable. I ended up watching the screen which I thought I wouldn't do. It's odd seeing bits of one's internal plumbing on a screen. All was pronounced ok, and I was wheeled back out for a rest, but the nurse said actually I could get dressed as soon as I liked.. My BP had come down even further. Getting dressed entailed sliding off the end of the trolley, as both sides were up.  When dressed  a lady whom I suspect was a cleaner moved me to the armchairs, where I got a cup of tea and a very nice nurse went through my 'report' including what to do in case of complications. At the end she said, 'Do you mind if I ask if you are related to P'? 'Yes' I said, he is my son.' She is a friend from the church in St Albans, so we had quite a long chat.
I excused myself and went to wait for husband. whom I had asked to pick me up on his way home. He had said he didn't want to go on a trip to Bristol with the rest if his department, just in case I decided on sedation, or if anything went wrong. Those that went got caught up in traffic problems on the M25 on the way there, then didn't get home till after 8pm. It was connected to the merger with Orange.

On Thursday I prayed extra hard over what to do about the border, then later checked again at the place I had started. There it was having fallen down behind something else. Hooray and Hallelujah! I went off to buy border adhesive, and got the job finished. Ladies meeting was a prayer meeting. Friday was quite unremarkable, except for the bitter cold and overnight frosts again, and Saturday was a normal Saturday. Next week I have the scan to look forward to, but apart from not eating for 6 hours before, that shouldn't be as bad. I hope to report good news from that too.
The completed dining room wall

No comments:

Post a Comment