Sunday 23 January 2011

January journal jottings

Well as I observed to husband as we tucked in to our roast chicken today, it is four weeks since Christmas. I used up one of the Christmas special stuffings, something with cranberry I believe. I always buy a few and freeze them as they are too nice just to eat at Christmas.

This has been a fairly quiet week, Monday was fairly uneventful, though I did get my car out and fill it with petrol and check the tyres, as husband was going to use it on Tuesday. On Tuesday I was up relatively early, but did not have time for breakfast, just took my meds, and then got his car out to take it for its annual service. I got it there at about 8.15 am, then set off to walk into the town centre. I got to the old High Street, and was thinking about breakfast in a cafe, but couldn't see if they had a loo. It was a fairly cold morning, and the High St loos are permanently shut. I bought the papers and carried on walking to the town centre.

Actually I realised later that there are toilets in the nearby park, but whether they are open is a moot point. I carried on past all the estate agents, and along the main Street, wondering if the market ones would be open. They have been refurbished, but the market has moved and they are not always open, so I headed for the nearby Asda. I went in the shop afterwards and got husband's favourite cereal, and they were on offer so got 2, one flavour which Sainsbury's no longer do.As usual there was a problem with the self service checkout.

I continued on through the main shopping Street and into Marks and Spencer, where I thought I'd better get something to eat, having walked nearly 3 miles and not having eaten since about 8 the previous evening. I picked.up what I thought was a bacon roll in the cafe, an orange juice to have with it, and asked for a decaf coffee. I became caffeine sensitive several years ago, and can usually cope with one cup of instant caffeinated per day. They didn't have decaf, but it was bean coffee, so I said ok. The assistant brought the roll over to me, and I had my glasses on to look at the paper, and realised I had picked up an all day breakfast roll. So it was more filling than I expected. I managed to finish orange juice roll and  coffee, then decided to set off for home. I was halfway to the bus stop, and suddenly  a wave of nausea came over me, so bad that I had to sit on the narrow bus shelter seat. What was it? The sudden onset of flu? Low blood sugar? Caffeinated coffee beans? Had the roll not been thoroughly reheated? I wasn't hot or anything else so quickly ruled out the first, My pulse was up quite a bit, so I decided it may have been the coffee.

When I got home I couldn't shake off the nausea, so took things fairly easy. At about 2.00 pm I just about managed a cup a soup. The garage phoned to say the car was done, they had consulted with husband about the brakes, and had done them thus pushing the bill up by a couple of hundred pounds or so. They would clean the car for us and it would be ready by about 3. I had a little doze, and then got ready to collect the car. I was a bit dubious about the bus journey, as I also suffer from motion sickness, but the journey wasn't too bad, and soon I was paying for the car, and on my way home.
I had a couple of ginger biscuits with my tea as ginger is good for nausea. Then I realised that the garage had forgotten to give us our loyalty 10% off the bill, and had forgotten to ask for my nectar card. I duly phoned the garage, but had to leave a message, as the service manager had already gone. My nausea had subsided, and I managed a small dinner.

On Wednesday I was out earlier, and got my Sainsbury's shopping done. It was very busy, and I heard that there had been accidents due to frost again. Traffic had been slow, I had noticed that through my kitchen window, and Sainsbury's had been inundated with held up shoppers. I managed to keep the bill down this week. Daughter and I also made it to parent and toddler's, I helped out with the singing as the leader's voice was not too good.

On Thursday I walked into town for my hospital appointment, arriving 10 minutes early. I needn't have bothered, as after half an hour the nurse announced that Dr Zs clinic was running an hour late, I went and asked who Dr Z was, and found that it was the clinic I was booked into.Great! I picked up a copy of Peoples' Friend, and after an hour went and found the nurse to ask how much longer. She said that there were 4 patients before me, so I got a cup of coffee. Eventually I was called 2 hours after my appointment time. The Doctor was charming and apologetic, so what can one say. He took my details, then gave me a thorough examination, and an injection, over which I had no choice! Afterwards he said he wants me to have a further test. so I was sent off to book that. By the time I got home I was too late to even ring someone to say I wouldn't be at women's hour. I felt pretty ropey so took myself off to bed  after a bowl of soup.
I got up in time for daughter to come round, she wanted to use  my sewing machine again, so I was on baby watching duties. It was fun, but I had to keep sorting Daughter and machine out. Her husband was at a Christmas meal from work so she was glad of the company.We got Baby to sleep once, but he soon woke up and at about 10.15 pm was lying on my floor in full flow, shouting, kicking and waving his arms, not to forget the grinning
On Friday I went back to the garage and got my 10% reduction and nectar points. I also had a call from the hospital to say Doctor wants me to have a scan as well, so that was fixed up. Saturday was normal and thankfully boring., there was a mix up over whether we were going to babysit, and in the end we didn't. Our pastor is back from India, safe and sound so that is good. we are having as series of sermons on the Moral law. February is just around the corner,so things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment