Sunday 16 January 2011

Complexity, including carcase, crockery,and cod

The weeks seem to be really rolling round, don't they? Lots more grey skies though, and lots of rain. Temperatures outside have mostly been above 50. I remarked to husband this morning, 'I reckon that this month will probably go down as the mildest January since records began'  he replied, 'Probably and it'll be all down to global warming too'. At least they are not quite as 'hot' on the subject as they once were on the Beeb, at one time it was programme after programme,on Radio 4, and you couldn't help thinking that climate change was the new religion.
Monday was the usual sort of run of the mill day, trying to get housework done, having to go out for various reasons, most of which are now forgotten. I also used the frozen turkey carcase to make ham and turkey soup.
Daughter brought baby for a visit. As soon as he is in here, if he is not asleep, his eyes are everywhere taking things in,  he loves to grab at things and everything goes in his mouth, of course. They stayed until husband came home, as Husband hadn't seen them since Christmas. Baby had been weighed and was a solid 17lb 6oz. Out came the camera, and the video camera.
On Tuesday I had my long awaited 2 year sight check. I say long awaited because In December I had managed to wreck not only my spare glasses, which were a bit on the flimsy side, but also my best reading specs. I was too embarrassed to go back as they had been in so many times for repair. I had tried various methods of holding the broken arms on, or fashioning arms out of wire Christmas tree hangers, but also limped ( metaphorically) through December getting by with chainstore magnifiers.
I wore my best trousers, and decided on an apple and one slice of toast with honey for breakfast. Yes, you have guessed, the knife with the honey on slipped off the plate on to the floor, it was few minutes before my hand brushed my trousers and found the honey! A quick wipe, and all was well. This is one reason why I never dress for church on a Sunday till the last possible moment as that stray drip of coffee invariably finds its way onto the pristine white t  shirt, and so on.
Thankfully my prescription had changed slightly, so I can claim for most of the cost of one pair from HSA. I also had a retinal photograph done, and was told it was 'Boring' I'm glad to hear it, there's nothing amiss.
On Tuesday we discovered one of Baby's toys sitting very forlorn and very wet on the garden path. I quickly placed it on the radiator. I did my usual Sainsbury's shop on Wednesday, daughter like me has been having bad nights, so was not really organised for parent and toddlers. Her husband was working from home as they were expecting some furniture to be delivered, so late on I popped up with the toy, and looked after Baby whilst they did other things. I had a very nice hot chocolate with marshmallows on top. I arrived home just before husband , so dinner was a little bit late.When I got in there was a message on the answerphone to say my glasses were ready. Hooray!
On Thursday morning I walked to the town centre, feeling very virtuous, picked up the new specs, 2 pairs, and then walked back to the other end of town for the bus up the hill. I didn't have to wait long, but it was the rattliest bus in the whole town I think. It vibrated whenever it stopped, and I was so glad to get off. I had lunch, and felt very sleepy. I had been struggling to get my 'prep' done for the ladies' meeting  study, but hadn't completed it. I sat down on the sofa and my eyes closed. I was woken by the phone. 'Mum are you doing anything this afternoon?' Looking at the clock I realised that I was not going to make it to the meeting, so said, 'No, not now' Daughter brought Nathaniel here for me to entertain whilst she got on with a job that she needed to do. I got some cuddles, he is not really into cuddles at the moment, unless he is tired, He, like his Mum at the same age, would rather be looking for things to touch and try, quite fearless in his lunging forward, I saved him from dropping on to the floor a few times.
I found some 'Muppet' clips on Youtube, but he was soon wanting to be doing other things  and made a grab for a silver box with blue and green lights. I had to pull him away, I don't think Grandad would want whatever it was pulled out by its wires. I suppose that with a techy Dad, Uncle and Grandad, he will be forever fascinated with such things. Daughter is often heard to mutter 'I've married my Dad'.
On Friday I walked up the hill to our nearest post office to post son's Birthday card and a small parcel. As I passed the charity shop, I saw that they had some cups and saucers and cereal bowls. I went in and had a look. On the way back from the PO, iI saw they had 'Everything half price'.I went in again and had another look. they had a part set, but they also had a complete set of earthenware stuff, cups saucers plates, dinner plates cereal bowls teapot, sugar bowl  and milk jug. All priced at £15! I asked the assistant if that too was half price and she said 'yes'. So Muggins that I am I bought it. She put it in a box, but it was so heavy. I tried for a bus, but the one that stopped was not going down the hill, so I rang Daughter, and went there and minded baby whilst she had a bath, then  as she was going out anyway, she brought me home with my spoils, and collected more toys that had been left behind.On examining the new crockery I realised it had never been used, so I reckon I got a bargain. Friday afternoon was spent deciding which of my old stuff was decent enough for the charity shop, and which was chipped and needed binning. I had been wondering what to do with the cod I had bought for dinner, and a leaflet from Sainsbury's came through the post; there was a cod recipe in it. Sorted!
New Crockery
Saturday was our usual walk to town and back, then after lunch doze read the papers and phone. Neither of us is sleeping too well, husband had a bad nosebleed on Tuesday, and by the time I got up he had made himself a Doctor's appointment This is unheard of! He's had nosebleeds for years but never one that lasted an hour, so I think he was worried. The Doctor gave him some cream and sent him for a blood test, to rule out anything nasty. I got a 'look and book 'letter last week, and have been able to book an appointment, online. It is for Thursday of this week, so I am trying not to think about it.I must check the time though, as I printed it off and have mislaid it
new specs

No comments:

Post a Comment