Monday 9 July 2012

The babysitter

Last week was very different for me, we rushed out of church before communion and came home as we were expecting visitors, however they didn't rush, and we were having lunch when they arrived. Daughter carefully carried a  peacefully sleeping Nathaniel up to our front bedroom, and placed him in the travel cot, then came down and chatted to us for a while, before leaving for a 2 day break. Sunday was their 6th wedding anniversary, and as they are not having a holiday this year, had booked a hotel in Shrewsbury for 2 nights; it would be their last opportunity for a child free break before no 2 arrives, DV in October.
The Happy couple
After about half an hour there was cry from upstairs, I went up and found that he was fully clothed and they had put a heavy blanket over him. That is the warmest room in the house, so I removed the blanket and his shoes and he went back down quite happily.
Later he woke and we brought him down  for his dinner. He didn't eat a lot of it seemd more interested in the gravy than the meat, but was very keen on the strawberries,saying 'more' when he had finished what we had given him. Soon he was trotting around playing asking us to read books, and we let him explore the garden
Grandad reads to him


Nathaniel loves books, which is a good thing. After his bath we dressed him in his sleepsuit, and as he trotted round in that the legs stretched out behind him. We did his bible reading and prayer, brushed his teeth, and put him in his sleeping bag which clips over his shoulders, and switched on the baby alarm. 
I had stayed home from the evening service as I had to care for Nat, husband wanted to stay at home too, as he doesn't see as much of his Grandson as he would like, due to that annoying stuff called work. When we went up later, Nat had stripped down to his nappy, the baby alarm was registering 26c, so I thought he had been too hot, and just covered him with a cellular blanket. Then I went to bed, but had a bad night, was I worrying about Nat?  I don't know but I was certainly getting niggling back and hip pains and couldn't get comfy.
 I was awoken by a cry, oof! Don't respond to the first cry; another cry, open one eye and check clock, 5.15 am Uurgh, at the 3rd cry I got up. He was wide awake and standing up, had obviously wriggled out from under the blanket and got cold.  Husband was already up. Nat not prepared to go back down, so I put something warmer on him and took him downstairs.  I had my shower early whilst husband kept an eye on him. We let him watch some stuff on iplayer as it was so early, and he pottered around quite happily afterwards. He waved husband off to work, then I gave him breakfast and had mine. Later I took him  to Watford in the car as I wanted to look for something in Watford. He fell asleep in the car, and was still asleep as I lowered him into the buggy. I did find one thing I wanted and picked up some lunch in M&S.
As I walked through the Harlequin centre, he woke up, only an hour's nap! He ate a good lunch, but wasn't too keen on the tropical flavour juice. I went in Lakeland and bought some stuff. When I went to a cash machine he signalled that he would quite like to get out of the buggy, as he had reins on I got him out, but he refused to walk, and wanted to be carried. I was firm and put him back in the buggy. I decided enough was enough, so we went back to the car and I strapped him in. As I drove along I realised one door wasn't quite shut, the courtesy light was still on. As I was planning to go to Sainsbury's on the way back, I diverted to the Watford store and decide to let him walk, on reins in the store. He was quite happy, laughing shouting, running and jumping, till I stopped to put something in the basket, then he went on all fours, lay down and refused to budge, uurgh toddlers!  I picked him up, and went through  a self service checkout as quickly as I could manage. This time the car door was firmly shut, and we reached home without further incident. I was feeling the effects of my early start and tried sitting with the paper, but he poked the paper, so I gave up, and played with him although when grabbed by the finger and pulled up to jump with him, I wished I was snoozing. Actually my eyes were closing as he played quite close to me, but I was aware of what he was up to. Again he was bit picky with his dinner, but thoroughly enjoyed his yoghurt
Grandad came home and we bathed Nat and got him ready for bed. Grandad read the bible story, I had dressed him in a new pair of short and t shirts style pyjamas, reckoning if he got too hot and stripped off the t shirt would help keep him warm. In view if the previous night's pains and lack of sleep I took a co-codamol as 'insurance'.  I slept till 4am, when I hard the first cry, after the second, which woke husband I lay muttering 'I can't get up at 4', but on the 4th cry, staggered into the front room, where I stroked his back and said 'Ssshhh baby, it's ok, go back to sleep'. He obliged and I staggered back to bed ant fell back to sleep. I was awoken at 7.20 am by more crying. husband was downstairs so I had to go in. Again he had stripped off his sleeping bag, his pyjama shorts, and this time his nappy, and he had done something unmentionable in the cot. I got him out, cleaned him up, hopefully sat him on the pot, and cleaned up the cot and took the sheet down to wash. He was just in time to say 'Bye' to Grandad. or 'dadadad', as Nat calls him.
we did a round trip to Sainsbury's, and his parents came to pick him up.early afternoon, they were refreshed having taken advantage of the hotel spa, and having a relaxing massage each.
Nat was delighted to see them, and seemed happy for a while, but later he became overwhelmed and had a tantrum,oh dear, here come the 'terrible twos', I waved bye bye, and sat down for a rest with the paper and a possible doze.
Wednesday was Weightwatchers, Sainsbury's, then parent and toddler's, which felt a bit like a busman's holiday for me.  We had a lot of children this time, and although it was noisy, the time passed relatively quickly. Home again to finish unpacking the shopping, and a quiet evening.
Thursday and Friday I was looking after Nathaniel again, on Thursday afternoon, as on Wednesday afternoon, the sun was shining, and I got washing dried outside, and Nat and I spent some time in the garden. On Friday I'd had my damage deposit back from the holiday company and wanted to go into town to bank it, It was pouring with rain again, I'd been unable to find his wellies, but decided to take him in the car to town, taking the buggy. He had his puddle suit on, but as we approached the car he walked straight into the deep puddle out at the back and just stood there. Great! One toddler with very wet feet! I must confess I did yell at him a bit 'I told you not to go in that puddle',
 I yanked him out and into the car, and when we got to town, I went into Mothercare, bought dry socks and a pair of  cheap trainers in a size too large, then dried his feet with a tissue. At least he now had dry feet. He fell asleep in the buggy again, and slept back in the car, then I carried him up, took his trainers and puddle suit off and he slept some more in the cot.
On Saturday we took the car into town, as we needed to go to the garden centre. We'd had the cheque back at last for the non moving of the gas meter, I needed new nose cushions on the glasses which Nat had shoved down the sofa,and I'd bagged up some small change to  deposit in another bank. As I was preparing to leave that bank, there was a downpour! Needing the ladies' room I decided to make a dash for it, wearing my folding waterproof. Of course the  water just poured off it onto my trousers,and soaked them. I thought, I can't go to the garden centre in soggy trousers,  I'll be wearing them for at least an hour,so after my comfort stop headed for M&S, where I bought dry trousers, into which I changed. The others were probably in need of replacement anyway.
Again we ate our sandwiches on the garden centre car park. then went and bought the required compost. there weren't many people there, there was a lot of grey cloud about. We also bought a copper Osteospermum, husband chose yet another fuchsia, and a plant for work. Oh yes, and he found a ceanothus, as the dwarf one didn't do very well, and he plans to replace it. Once we had got home and unloaded the car, we both crashed out for a couple of hours.
New fuchsia

all this rain has been good for my Christmas tree
Will sign off for now as am quite busy, have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment