Monday 23 July 2012

Meeting a flight and giving myself a fright

So on the Sunday morning  I was up bright and early, rushing round  so that I could leave for the airport at 8.30am. I lit the oven, then turned it low so that the chicken would cook slowly. Their flight was due at about 10.00 at Stansted, not sure why, as they had gone from Luton. Husband was tracking the flight online.
I had a pretty good run over there and was at Mountfitchet services by 9.30 am. I went to the ladies' room, then decide as I had plenty of time, I'd have coffee, a standard coffee is huge, so I needed the ladies' room again, as I left I got a text to say they had landed.
I made for the 15 minute waiting area, but decided I was too early , so drove to a nearby village and rang them. They were still waiting for baggage, but would phone me when they had it. The call came and I set off, but when I got there couldn't see them. I suddenly spotted someone who looked like Son, and rang him, I was waving and said 'turn around and you will see me', this guy turned around in the opposite direction! I asked Son what he was wearing and soon ascertained that I had been waving at a complete stranger, and the fact that he had turned at that precise moment was coincidence! ( should have gone to specsavers)
Eventually I managed to direct them to where I was waiting, they dumped their luggage in the boot, and we headed off. I hadn't worked out the payments system, but Son produced his debit card for the machine, and soon we were heading for the M11. We had a pretty good run on the way back, they said they wouldn't stay for lunch as they wanted to be in plenty of time to pick Tom up at the kennels before 4. When we arrived home, my Fiesta was still sitting there. 'Oh I said, Dad hasn't gone to church, just go in whilst I put the Focus away'. When I reached the garden, they had been unable to get in the house,  I quickly discovered that husband had in fact walked to church, I also discovered that the oven had gone out and a very pink, cold, naked uncooked chicken was sitting in my oven. A good thing they weren't staying for lunch. So I put the oven on high, then checked my phone; there was a message to pick husband up from church, so I zoomed off, leaving Son with the garage keys to retrieve their car.
They left after chatting to husband for a while, and the chicken cooked in about an hour. We had our usual afternoon nap, then went to the evening service, followed by my Sunday evening call to Mum in law.
Monday was spent doing boring things such as housework and ironing,  afterwards I still had a mountain of shirts and some bed linen.  The fitted sheets seem to slide around with the mattress topper, so I'd bought an extra deep one, and ordered another online. That took a while to arrive, and when I followed it up, got a less than polite e-mail blaming lazy postmen. The nice young boy next door eventually brought it round, it must have been left with them when we were out. Sad to say it still slides around.
I was also getting the front bedroom ready for a handy man to look at as the floor needs repair where we had the boiler  chimney removed when the boiler was replaced, so I was sorting junk, moving junk, moved the travel cot etc.The third handyman I rang promised to come,  the other 2 were too busy.
At Weightwatchers I had regained the pound I lost last week. I have been struggling to lose for a while. this tends to happen, and I sometimes get fed up and leave WW. then it gradually all goes back on. Off to Sainsbury's where I seemed to spend a fortune again. They had no vacuum packs of beef which are cheaper and some have added fat which makes the beef taste horrible, so I bought Taste the Difference, but I make it last 3 days, it ends up as cottage pie.The mountain of shirts and bedlinen were bundled up for the ironers, along with some trousers of mine. The nice man said they would be ready Friday afternoon.
Daughter was complaining she couldn't find her phone when I picked Nat up on Thursday. I rang it for her but it went straight to the answering machine. Nat fell asleep in the buggy on our walk, he'd been up pretty early, so I left him in the buggy in the hall, he looked too peaceful to disturb.

The sleeper
He had a slightly later lunch but was soon up to his usual tricks having fun, he managed to pinch the mouse ball again, fortunately we have a spare, till I could find out where he had put it. Husband came home slightly earlier and came up with me to Daughter's, where we sat and chatted. when her husband came home the phone search continued, at one point I was crawling round their bedroom floor, and felt a little hand on my rear, someone decided I needed a push obviously. Daughter's husband even took the manhole cover off to check that a certain little person hadn't flushed the phone away.
 On Friday I had a very senior moment, I had collected Nathaniel and was in the kitchen opening the cupboard reaching for my fish oil capsules, my mind was elsewhere and I suddenly realised I had in fact picked up the thyroxine, and swallowed one, oh no! I had already taken my thyroxine for the day. I was envisaging horrible palpitations, tremor etc, and remembered the Doctor who first put me on them saying ' if you take too much you can drop dead from a heart attack'. I tried to make myself sick, but that didn't work, so I rang the Dr for advice. The receptionist said she would get him to ring me back. I then rang husband and said 'I wouldn't worry as much, but I have Nat to look after'. He volunteered to come and work from home.
The Dr rang, and reassured me that I would be fine, I would only be affected if I continued to take too much every day. I tried to contact husband and couldn't  so he arrived home, when I told him the tale he said, 'It's not worth going back to work', and settled down with his work laptop. Belatedly I set off for the Pilgrim Homes coffee morning in Dunstable. It is run by old friends of ours. Nat fell asleep in the car, I transferred him to the buggy, and parked him in the hall, but people kept coming and ringing the bell, so he woke.
I took him and my coffee outside, we discovered that the boy he had played with last week was there. The owner of the house had built a garden railway, ostensibly for his son, but it's always an attraction on those coffee mornings when it doesn't rain. So the children had a wonderful time exploring in complete safety.
getting steam up

It must be nice to have a big garden

Nathaniel

Something caught his eye

having a lovely time


I bought some home made jam and a tea loaf, which looked low fat, and then we set off for home. It began to rain, but wasn't too heavy. I realised there was too much for Nat to grab at in the back bedroom, so shifted the cot again for his nap. When I took him home, he was playing with an old CD player, and he insisted Daughter and I danced to ''I'm a believer' (Monkees,) whilst he jumped and jumped. Wish I had his energy.
Saturday was quite normal, I overslept, we walked to town, got the bus back up, and then did a bit in the garden. I made the chilli in the pressure cooker, so much quicker. For once it didn't rain. Wonder how long this 'Summer' we are predicted will last? Daughter found her phone, in a drawer where she had put it out of Nat's reach. The handy man had also phoned and arranged a time to inspect the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment