Thursday 5 July 2012

Back to the Fuchsia

So what of last week, back home, holiday blues? Not too bad actually, we eased ourselves back into our pastor's preaching style, then home to a lunch of roast beef, I had defrosted some from the freezer. I didn't make Yorkshires however, as I felt it was too much faff.  I had brought some clotted cream back with me, for us, for Daughter, and for the Pastor and his wife, who spent 21 years in St Ives, so I had bought some scones which we had after church.
Monday was spent doing things like washing, although I had done a few loads whilst away, there is a drying area in the courtyard at Primrose Court, there was still bed linen to do and towels which we had taken with us. I had freshened the towels up with a wash at the end of the first week, and they had dried in the sun. I also did a bit of weeding, cut back some of the honeysuckle which was now over, and tried to retie the fruit canes. I also dead headed our paeonies, which had flowered whilst we were away, and as we had missed their beauty, I bought some from Sainsbury's to put in a vase, they were beautiful, although our garden ones are red.

what a beauty

On Monday I also took in a form for repeat prescription for my asthma inhalers. I thought I had taken 2 brown ones away with me, but couldn't find one of them. However, the other one lasted out, and when I got home I found the second one which I had thought I had packed in the over night bag. As I couldn't tell how much was in this second one, and the other decided to give out, I thought better safe than sorry.
Tuesday was spent sorting out things to be paid which had come through the post, getting a gas meter reading, bundling some things up to take to the ironers, oh and posting pictures on Facebook, and updating my blog. I also strimmed the lawn one evening, so that the lawn looked less like a meadow.
Wednesday was the dreaded weigh in, 4lb on ! still it could have been much worse if I hadn''t  done so much walking. The off to Sainsbury's to restock, then I was on duty at parent and toddlers, doing refreshments, we only had 4 children as apparently it was sports day for many children and some of our todds have older siblings. The lady with the twins had had all 4 of hers down with chickenpox.
I arrived home feeling shattered,some nights I still don't sleep. That day I bought a new WW pedometer, and have been surprise how many steps I take in a normal day.

Thursday I was back to childminding Nathaniel, he was interested in things in the garden,and was quite good, but doesn't always eat his meals. Why are toddlers so fussy? He got a longer buggy ride than usual, as I had forgotten to pick up my prescription.. The pharmacist wanted to chat to me about my medication, but I used having to look after Nat as an excuse not to.
Before we went away, I mislaid a pair of my glasses. I remembered slipping them into my coat pocket as husband and I left here to take Nat up to Daughter's home. Despite hunting high and low, checking the front seats of the car, daughter checking her sofa, me checking the undergrowth in the garden etc, I was totally unable to find them. I hate going away with only one pair, so in Truro I bought a cheapish pair of magnifiers for the occasions when I put my other pair down and couldn't find them. As I fastened Nat into his rear facing seat to take him home, I caught sight of something purple behind and partly under the driver's seat. I quickly checked, and yes! there were my glasses, they had been all the way to Cornwall, but not visible because of the folded down back seat., and the piles of stuff placed thereon. I don't know why  I didn't spot them whilst we were there, probably because I sit in the front. I'd been praying that I would find them so Thank you Lord!
Whilst I was at Daughter's home, Nat was having fun playing with my bag, and taking things out. The next day, I took Nathaniel into town as I had some banking business to do, and suddenly realised that whilst I had one pair of glasses back, the other pair had disappeared, Aaaaaaargh! I felt as if I was going mad. Husband helped me to take Nat home that evening, but I forgot to mention the missing glasses. We also tried to post a card at the new sorting office, as their last posting time used to be 7.30 .It was that annoying Polish woman again, who informed me that last posting was now 6.30, and when I asked why it had changed she blamed it on the people who had bought the land on which the old sorting office stood ???? I groaned and gave up!
I eventually rang Son In law and asked him to look for my glasses 'Sorry'came the reply 'they are not here'. How depressing, to lose one pair is unfortunate, to lose 2 looks like carelessness, sorry Lady Bracknell!
On Saturday I was raring to go, as I had forgotten to pick up the ironing. When I got back, Son in Law rang to say he had found my glasses stuffed down the back of the sofa, now I wonder who was responsible for that??!!
They were going out to the park, so I said I would collect them later. We eventually left to go into town, get our week's shopping, then briefly returned home to refrigerate some stuff before heading off  to the big garden centre.We had lunch there, we both had jacket potatoes, with a different filling and I had a small cheesecake, bad move! We bought 4 fuchsias, 3 were to replace some that had died. I also chose some verbena, a few petunias, and some heliotrope, which smells gorgeous. I was excited when we came home from holiday to discover that last year's Winston Churchill fuchsia had new growth on it. It's not a fully hardy plant, the bubble wrap round the pot, and the fleece over the top must have worked. There is also growth on a fuchsia which was in a hanging basket, so I may have to transplant that too. We also bought wire to use for training the fruit as the string keeps on breaking.


new one in a pot at the back

A Tom Thumb, fitted into acorner




All in all the front garden is looking pretty good

l

I think I will break off for now and continue later

No comments:

Post a Comment