Wednesday 10 October 2012

A week of 'fun and games'


Most of Monday morning last week was taken up by distribution of the harvest goods. Arriving just around 9 am, the car park was already full, and some of us had to park in the lane at the back The display had already been partly dismantled, and the boxes laid out. We had to pack the items one to each box, then if anything left over, go round them again. There was some food left over which would go to the local food bank.
Eventually, all was sorted, the tablecloths neatly folded, and I was given 4 boxes to deliver. The first lady was out, but had a high fence so I left hers on the doorstep. Then the next was in, and she had a visitor who was able to point me to where the  the third lived. His was taken by his carer. I popped back to the church to tell the lady who was organising that the first lady had been out and was concerned that she wouldn't know who it was from. We usually put a tract in the box. She reassured me that the tract was there, it was just a smaller one than usual. So reassured, I set off to my last visit which was nearer home. he also was out, but I have left his on the porch before so that was ok.
Then home, off for my usual walk, then lunch,and a upstairs to move a few final things so that the bedroom door could opened really wide for the bed delivery.
On Tuesday,I was contemplating visiting friends, when I got a phone call. It was Daughter.She had to go to take the bible study, but Nat had been sick during the night, and she couldn't take him, as he would have been in the creche, and if it was a bug, he would give it to others. so I went to babysit. Apparently Daddy had given hIm some Weetabix as he seemed ok. he was a bit clingy, wanting cuddles, but soon perked up, and wanted books read, and played with a set with puzzles in it, and name cards, naming the animals for me.
Later he went very quiet as he sat beside me, too quiet, I should have guessed! Suddenly his breakfast reappeared, and I had to grab a kitchen towel to mop up. I insisted he walked up the stairs, no way could I carry him, then I stripped him off, washed him, and changed his clothes. Spending much time washing my own hands. I carried him downstairs and gave him a cuddle.  When his mum arrived home, she said that not many people had been there, as there was a tummy bug going around. it must have originated in the creche that Sunday. Daughter had been at a different service from the other mums, but I pointed out that it could be spread from contact with toys. Time for a deep clean of the creche toys. We worked out that the incubation period was less than 48 hours. So if we could get past that, we should be ok.
On Wednesday I had to miss Weightwatchers as the bed was to be delivered between 9 and 1. They came fairly early, but by the time they had dismantled the old bed and put together the new one. it was too late for me to go. So I ended up at Sainsbury's doing the weekly shop at around the same time as I would normally. I made up the bed, and when I went to bed that evening had to take a co codamol,as I had slight back pain. The bed felt strange, as all new beds do. I wasn't to keen that the new mattress protector had polyurethane in it, I may have to go back to my old one.   I did manage to sleep, but not as well as husband.
On Thursday I varied my usual walk, after leaving Sainsbury's I crossed the road and went up the path through the church yard and over the railway bridge. When we had a dog, husband used to take that route, there is a path through the trees which he nicknamed Poo Alley, as everyone exercised their dogs there. Thankfully it wasn't as bad, and there is a doggy doo bin at the end of the path. It brought me out at the bottom of the field which is being redeveloped, but the piles of debris were so high I wasn't any the wiser.
Poo alley

Development site
Autumn berries

View from railway bridge, showing ski centre

Thursday afternoon Daughter rang, she had been sick during the night, was getting awful cramping pains. The baby hadn't moved much, and there was another sign that she could be going into labour, 3 weeks early. She had rung someone and been told to go to the antenatal ward. I went up there to look after Nat, she was going to drive herself there, and her husband was going to get the train, get off at Watford and join her at the ward. Nat was quite happy playing, and being read to, I was updated by phone,  all was ok they wanted to keep her in as she was dehydrated, but she managed to get her ketone level down. the cramps were thought to be from the tummy bug. the other sign meant that she theoretically could go into labour before her due date, so it was wait and see. the hardest art was actually waiting for a Doctor to discharge her.
Nat had climbed up for a cuddle and fallen asleep with his head on my shoulder, so was lying fast asleep on the sofa. Me? I was bored. I had dimmed the lights, hadn't had time to pick up a paper or mag before leaving home, so got a book off their shelf to browse in the half light. As I  was checking through the front door window for their car,I felt a movement behind me. Nat had woken and was soon asking for 'food'. Everything in the freezer needed defrosting first, so he scoffed some of his leftover toast whilst I contemplated what to do. Then his parents arrived, it was just after 8 pm. I left them to organise Nat, and went home to shove pork steaks in the oven.
Friday was spent mostly catching up on housework, ironing and walking to the Doctor's to collect a prescription, quite a normal boring day for a change. I didn't catch the bug, had a mildly upset tum, but that was more due to prawns than anything else. Although I wasn't pleased not to sleep on Friday night.


No comments:

Post a Comment