Thursday 18 October 2012

Farewell we call to hearth and hall

A week ago last Saturday I was up early, and at 8.25am joined the queue, outside the surgery, which was already snaking round the corner onto the car park. However as the doors opened at 8.30am, the queue quickly began to move, and we were soon queuing up the stairs. Not sure where the people who came up in the lift slotted in, but it was done differently this year. No ticking off of lists, but straight into the surgery, a quick jab, and by 8.45 I was to my way to the paper shop.
I met a neighbour and stood chatting, but then had to rush home with griping tummy pains! I had a slightly upset tum, but it was more likely to be some prawns that  I had picked at after they were left out of the fridge. I had no other signs of the dread lurgy, thankfully. Husband and I got on with our packing and rounding up of things to take on our twice yearly trip to North Wales.
We were interrupted by a visit from Daughter and Son in law, with Nat. The events of the week had woken Daughter up to the fact that she might need to call on someone else to care for Nat if she went into labour early, so they departed with the smaller car seat which I had fitted in my car, and the travel cot.
 We set off just after midday, car fully laden, had a reasonable run with a stop at Corley for lunch, where I had something from Waitrose, and husband had his usual fish and chips. Later we stopped at Sainsbury's Chester,  to stock up but didn't use the cafe as we were running late.
We arrived at the bungalow in Kinmel Bay at around 6.30, found the key, and unloaded the car. After a quick ready meal during which I managed to spill chilli down the only sweatshirt I had brought, husband settled down to recover from the journey. I called round to see my sister.
On Sunday we had been planning to go over to Chester to church,as we haven't been for a while. However due to the fact that I hadn't slept on Friday night, plus the journey, neither of us woke till 9.25 am! The services up there start at 10.30, am, so Chester was out, but we were both so groggy with sleep, that we realised we probably wouldn't be going anywhere. At least the bed was fairly comfortable, the mattress is memory foam, but I do have problems turning over.
Later that morning I went out for a walk. I haven't been to the seafront at Kinmel Bay for years. I took my camera.
Flowers alongside the pavement

A new sign

Looking over to Llandudno

A viewing point

Boats leaving the Voryd harbour, along the mouth of the Clwyd

Oil /gas drilling platform off the coast

base for 'planting' wind farms
Later after a Waitrose 'meal for 2 for £10', which includes chocolates instead of wine, we went around to my sister's for the rest of the day. My niece and her son were there and he was telling us about the various digs which he has taken part in. Actually, when they were redoing the sea defences at Rhyl harbour, he was paid to be on standby in case anything of interest was found.
 He was working on Chester walls part of the week that we were there. He also takes part in world War 2 reenactments, having moved on from the earlier history ones he used to do.
I think I must break this blog into more than one report

No comments:

Post a Comment