Sunday 28 October 2012

Coming back down to earth

Well after all of the excitement of the last two weeks, this week has been fairly dull. The family came round for lunch on Sunday, Nat had been to church with Daddy, but had fallen asleep in the car. They tried to transfer him to the travel cot upstairs, but he woke up and was in one of those moods when he didn't know what he wanted, and ended up in full 'terrible twos'  mode.
Eventually, he was persuaded back downstairs, but didn't eat much apart from a few mouthfuls of roast beef. He asked for a yoghurt, but I explained I only had big boys' yoghurts. He wanted to try one, and scoffed a whole pot of  Activia raspberry. Then as we had ice cream for dessert, he wanted some too, and ate all of it. Toddlers!
After lunch, he played quite happily, and was read to, and was a perfectly happy little boy. His sister spent most of her time asleep, except for when she was feeding, she first woke whilst we were eating, I'll swear she smelt the beef! We told them they could stay here as long as they wanted, but we were going to the evening service, as it was a preacher whom we particularly like, our own pastor still being away. They decided to go home, as it would be late when we got back.
The two young ladies who came earlier in the year were just in front of us going into church. One of them at least, had had a Sunday evening job, but has given it up as she is studying for A levels. The visiting speaker gave real gospel sermon, but the girls left before communion, so no one had much chance to speak to them.
Monday was my usual, boring housework day, I did go for a walk to fetch the papers, but didn't see anyone I knew. The previous week I had bumped into an old neighbour, and we caught up on our news. He has had some health problems, but they are not as bad as his GP thought.
I spent part of Monday afternoon making the remains of the beef into two cottage pies, then later took one up to Daughter, with a jug of gravy. I sneaked a bit of a cuddle with Lydia, who slumbered quite contently. On Tuesday I overslept again, and woke up feeling a bit groggy. I had a quiet day, I felt snuffly, did go out for my usual walk Otherwisese didn't do much. I wasn't sure if it was a cold coming, or the result of getting used to the central heating again. I usually end up with snuffles and sinus problems when the weather gets cold enough to put the heating on.
This week I had lost another pound, so am making slow progress in the right direction, after a summer of ups and downs. I am back on the soups and stir fries. Off to Sainsbury's, didn't spend as much, but didn't buy a joint, as the sell by dates were all to early; then parent and toddlers. I don't usually do 2 weeks in a row, but had swapped, with someone for the week I was away. It was hectic and noisy,and I made 12 teas, and 3 coffees  that meant there were 12 parents, as the leaders need refreshments too. I'm not sure how many toddlers there were, at least 2 people brought 2 and one person had 3. It's good to know we are still providing a popular service  after about 5 years.
On Thursday the other grandparents were coming up by train from Maidstone to meet baby Lydia. I said that I would call in,and decided to get my papers from the nearby shops. I walked there, got the papers, then as I walked to daughter's house realised that the car wasn't there. In fact no one was in. A couple of phone calls later, I discovered they had gone into town as Son in Law was in need of a haircut,and they needed to do a bit of shopping.
At last the trees are turning




I glanced through one of the papers whilst waiting, and when they arrived, I took Nat out of his car seat and  indoors, he started looking for 'Daddad', as he calls him, but I explained that Grandad was at work. Son in Law got a call to collect the other grandparents from the station, and Nathaniel was already as high as a kite charging around. He was even worse when the other grandparents and their middle Son arrived. I took a few pictures, chatted for bit then left to walk home, thankfully down hill all the way. fat chance of Nat wanting a nap that day!

Almost a week old

Grandma gets a cuddle
Nathaniel is gentle
 On Friday I did a bit of tidying in a corner that occasionally gets out of hand, breaking off to wash a net curtain the colour of which had me ashamed. That involved moving plant pots,and other paraphernalia from the windowsill, then I cleaned the window inside and out. sadly my window cleaner found another job and neglected to inform us. My neighbour found out when she rang him. I made a bolognese sauce in the afternoon,and took some up to the family. I forgot to mention that the midwife called back and was very pleased with everyone. Daughter has had an ear infection, for which she has drops.
I overslept on Saturday morning, and ran late again, so we took the car into town again. Husband got his flu jab done at Boots, he has to pay for his, whereas I've always had mine free because of asthma. Now the clocks have gone back, and the evenings are darker, roll on the shortest day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment