Monday 12 November 2012

Potting, preserving and 'Pension' - (hotel really)

I may have neglected to mention my visit to the Garden centre the previous week. I spent some time last week repotting my containers out at the front. I had bought some more daff bulbs, and I wanted  to plant those, and put winter flowering pansies on top, to give a bit of colour during the winter months. So one by one I emptied the pots and then replanted them. The container of compost which we keep on the patio was soon empty, but I found another in the garage. I could never have lifted it, but tried to use a collapsible trolley, sadly the trolley kept collapsing, but one of the wheels had twisted and couldn't be straightened, so I dragged it round to the garden. Our garage is in a block at the rear of the houses, so it was a hard task. I didn't do myself any injuries, but late that day I managed to twist around awkwardly, and did pull a muscle.Typical.
Last week was quite productive in that I also managed to iron a backlog of shirts.
On Wednesday I had lost half a  pound, so I am creeping slowly in the right direction. After Sainsbury's, I went to B&Q, and found the ronseal which I needed. We had some dry days so hopefully I would get some more of the fence done.
Thursday was a bright day, so I got stuck in with the sprayer. I read the instructions, but the sprayer didn't seem to fill up too well. I sprayed the parts of the fence which I hadn't been able to reach before, then I started the second coat. It was easy to push the trigger accidentally, so there may be things in the garden which I sprayed unintentionally. As it wouldn't fill completely, I kept on having to refill it. Once, I hadn't released the pressure properly, and the handle came out sending a spray of ronseal all over me and everything nearby. Talk about a spray tan! I also gave myself an unintentional light brown streak in the grey hair. So much for not breathing in the fumes! I did wear a mask, and I hoped it would stop me inahaling particles. Unfortunately I had removed the mask when it sprayed everywhere.
It took almost as long as the paint brush had done, but at least I had reached the bits behind our shed and our neighbour's shed.
I had an early lunch, then changed and put a dab of perfume on to try and mask the smell. then I set off to walk down to our church. Women's hour was hosting a bookshop again from 11 am till 3.30 pm. I called in at the hairdresser's on the way down and managed to book a haircut for 4pm. I had a coffee when I got to the church, and allowed myself a little cake as I had walked down. I chatted to the other ladies there, then browsed the books and bought some books for Nathaniel, 2 for me to read, and some cards.  I then said my goodbyes, and walked back into town to get the  bus back up.  I quickly washed my hair, then finished off the pots out at the front, then went and got my car to drive to the hairdresser's. She got rather carried away, and my hair ended up shorter than it has for ages  Everyone seems to think it's ok though
One of the late afternoons , as I did the pots  I noticed a lovely sky.

As you know, I love sunsets.
Friday I spent generally tidying up, more ironing and packing. I walked up to Daughter's home collecting the papers on the way. Our Son and his wife were coming to visit, on their way to spend a weekend visiting Grandma, whom they hadn't seen for months. We had discovered that we wanted to visit the same weekend as them, so as Grandma should have had her operation, so she wouldn't have to be put out by our visit, I had booked us all into a hotel, and offered to pay for the younger ones too. The hotel was dog friendly so they could bring Tom too.We would take Grandma for dinner and Sunday lunch at the hotel.
As I sat cuddling Lydia, who for once had her eyes wide open and was responding with puzzled looks, they arrived. I had some minor last minute details to iron out with them, and some photos of Tom to give them. Daughter in Law declined to cuddle Lydia, as she had a fresh cold and didn't want to spread it. I left as they sat down to lunch, and walked back across the field, on the way back across the field I saw what could have been the remains of the ball which Tom lost in the summer, obviously destroyed by the council mower.
 When husband arrived home, we sorted the things to take with us, packed the car and set off for the South coast. Husband didn't take his usual pre trip nap, but managed all of the driving. We stopped at our usual place for a snack meal, and for once the filling in my panini was hot.
 We  arrived at the hotel just before 10 pm, and booked in. Son and his wife had left their car at the hotel and walked up to Grandma's, then they walked back in the dark, but Tom got some exercise. We arranged to breakfast together at 8.30 am. The hotel was clean, warm, (a bit too warm) and comfortable with Tempur mattresses. We didn't sleep all night, as with most memory foam mattresses, we had difficulty turning over.
However we were up early and down in time for breakfast. We discovered that our room had a rooftop view with the sea beyond it. Breakfast was plentiful, and afterwards we all went up to Mum in laws. Later, we went into Eastbourne, it was raining, and the world and his wife seemed to be heading for Eastbourne. No chance of  eating on the seafront, so once we had found on street parking, we headed for the usual cafe. Grandma insisted on paying for our lunch. Later the young people contacted us to say they had found some cheap swimwear and were going back to use the hotel pool. We didn't buy much in Eastbourne, and decided to head back.
 Tom was glad to see us, and he spent part of his time waiting near the front door for his owners to return. Sadly as we went back to the hotel he had to go back in the conservatory. Husband and I went back slightly early to change for dinner, the other 2 had not brought much in the way of dress clothes, but fortunately there was no dress code. It was fairly dim in the restaurant, and Daughter in  Law had to help Grandma read the menu. We had a lovely 3 course meal, followed by coffee, then back to the bungalow for a while before returning for the night to the hotel.
Next morning we were down earlier for breakfast, as E&P had promised to take Grandma to her 9.30 am service. We went to the service at  our usual place, so we were able to spend time with Tom whilst they were out and they arrived back just before we left. The traffic in the road was pretty bad, there is a Catholic church nearby, and what with that and the parade, cars were parked on both sides. We had the 2 minutes silence at St Paul's, but after the service certain roads were closed because of events on the promenade. We went back to the bungalow and all went down to the hotel in our Son's car. Sunday lunch there is a carvery, so we knew it was generous, and only had 2 courses. Even so the meat was a bit generous, so some was wrapped in paper napkins to take home to Tom. He thoroughly appreciated it.
I took 2 pictures of the young people with Grandma and Tom, but he refused to face the camera.
Grandma was totally captivated by Tom
They took him for a short walk, then set off  home as they had further to go than us. We left at around sunset as it had been a beautiful day, and husband did not want to travel west with the sun in his eyes. We had quite a good run, stopping at the new services at Cobham, which we decided were too large and too noisy. We arrived home at about 7.30, tired but happy with the weekend and especially not having had to cook or wash up. We had a quiet evening catching up on newspapers we hadn't found time to read. The young people got home safely too, so we thank the Lord for our safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment