Monday 12 November 2012

For what is your life?

Well I thought I would try and blog  last week's news before I forget most of it. On the Sunday we had invited the family round again for lunch. Out pastor was back from a trip to India, and told us briefly of how God is working there, we also had communion. We dashed home afterwards, and I got stuck into the preparations. The family arrived and as we chatted daughter told me of the shocking news that someone whom we had known for over 30 years had lost her life in a car accident. We had been fairly close when our children were younger, we met the family through church, one of their younger boys was about 7 months younger than our Daughter.the other younger than our Son. They had two older children, both of whom husband had taught in Sunday School and bible class, I had taught one of the younger boys in Sunday School  too.
Later a few years after we had moved to a church 7 miles away, they also came to that church and we were in the same area fellowship group. Although we later moved back to worship in our own town, there is a lady in our church who had made friends with C, and she came along to a couple of craft evenings we had mainly for mums and toddler's parents, and she came to an evening carol service. I still saw her around town, and we kept up with family news. She had 2 grandchildren older than mine. I sent a text to our Son, and he must have done an internet search, and discovered the most likely accident. It seems that she had been returning from a visit to her parents in Oxford, and somehow had hit a breakdown truck head on. She died at the scene.
Although this is shocking news for her family and all that knew her, we do have the consolation that she knew Jesus as her Saviour, and we have the assurance that she will have gone straight to be with God in heaven. Not everyone has this assurance, and none of us know when the hour of our death will be. Are you prepared to meet God? Life can be so unpredictable, we go about our business thinking all is well and we will go on for years in the same old way, James chapter 4 verses 13, 14 and 15 are very sobering to read.
After lunch I spent some time phoning and emailing people who would have known C in the past. She was a lovely lady, very vibrant, adored her family, was very artistic, and loved flowers and gardening, in recent years she had trained as a florist.
I didn't neglect the family completely, it was lovely to have Nathaniel with us, and  Grandad had his first cuddle from baby Lydia

 At the evening service we had a visiting speaker who is in Christian work in Zambia. I had been running on adrenaline since hearing the news about C, and did wonder whether I would sleep, but did manage to.
 On Monday, I thought of more people whom I should phone, but got answering machines, so left messages.
I popped into Sainsbury's, and along with the papers and a couple of other items, I picked up the DVD of the latest series of Downton Abbey, so that is my viewing sorted for a few days.
Mum in law rang to say that her cataract operation scheduled for that day had been postponed , because the surgeon was ill. When he had seen her, he had said he wanted to perform the 'op' in days rather then weeks, now it has been put back  by 2 weeks, so I fear that her sight may deteriorate. She is not an assertive person, I would have demanded they kept me informed of cancellations, but it is difficult for me to intervene.
Later I went toHomebase and bought a sprayer, but they did not have any more of the ronseal in the shade I needed. I called in on Daughter on the way back.
Hm, I think I may have to break this blog into more than one post, back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment