Wednesday 21 November 2012

Rain, rain, go away


Well I haven't blogged for a while, truth to tell there is not much happening. I'm afraid November is descending into typical November style, grey skies, lots of rain and having to put the light on at about 3.30 pm, today it was even earlier.
I noted down that Monday of last week was wet, and I went out wearing joggers. Now I don't like joggers that flap around my ankles, but when I got back from my walk I had to change, as the joggers had wicked up water, and were flapping very wetly round my legs.
I had a phone call from an old friend whom I had left a message for about the funeral later this week. We didn't chat for long, but said that they are in the process of packing up to move to Northumbria! They are both retired. I'm tempted to move to a cheaper area  when my husband retires, but not that far away from family.
Tuesday of last week I had a slow start, I'm still having trouble sleeping at times, seem to be taking ages to get used to the new bed. I phoned my friend C, but her husband said she was asleep, so I proceeded to take the kitchen net curtain down. I was halfway through washing it when C rang me back, so we had a little natter. Later when I came to put something in the washing a machine, I discovered 2 odd socks, both dyed navy!  Then my eldest sister phoned, she had been put on a new weight loss plan, and had lost 4lb.
After a soup lunch, I took off for Watford, I didn't buy much, but the shopping centre is looking very festive with the decorations up. Then I drove round to Hobby craft, which is having a makeover, they didn't seem to have a lot in stock for making Christmas cards, so I bought a few bits, and probably will only make a few.
On Wednesday. I had actually put weight on, despite being good Monday and Tuesday. I'll have to blame it on the food I ate on the weekend away.
I still seem to be spending a lot at Sainsbury's, although my trolley didn't contain that much. I managed to get the Christmas cake made last week, left the fruit soaking in brandy overnight to plump it up, then mixed everything else in. I had to do most of it by hand, as my mixer decided to pack up as it was introduced to the mixture. It was whirring like crazy, but the beaters just wouldn't turn. Daughter had an even worse week, as her fridge/freezer packed up, and I had no room in mine to help out, so they lost quite a lot of food. That's in addition to her kettle and toaster which also died recently.
I think that the cake cooked ok, it's the first one I have done in this cooker. I'm still having problems with the cooker, the other day the oven went out and just would not relight. Still we cheered our evenings up by watching Downton, which was mostly entertaining.  Although husband refused to watch one episode.We do crack up at some of the one liners though, is it meant to be a comedy?
On Thursday we were writing Christmas cards at Women's hour, for missionaries and absent friends.We chat as we do that and it's a pleasant time of fellowship, although a couple of us found ourselves signing the same card twice. When that happens we know that it is time to stop. I called in on Daughter on the way home, she is still quite tired, Lydia keeps them up a bit at night. Fortunately Nathaniel still takes a nap, but like his Mum did, he sometimes gets up to mischief whilst she is feeding Lydia.

Lydia fast asleep

Nathaniel, takes after his Dad, Grandad and Uncle, a techie at 2!
I can't remember much about Friday, but Saturday I overslept again to after a bad night, so we were chasing out tails all day. Husband wanted to go to the garden centre for more bark, so we went over there and ate our lunch on their car park.We bought a couple more things, then when we got home husband got stuck into some sorting of stuff, as when we had the bed delivered  I had to move stuff into the guest bedroom. I'm hoping he will chuck some stuff out, he has already started a charity shop bag.
Sunday was a normal Sunday, except that there was dedication service for a baby. We are making the most of hearing our pastor at present, if you remember a while ago I spoke of having had some bad news, well it was that the pastor is leaving. We have enjoyed his ministry so much, we were quite devastated by the news. I tried to phone Mum in Law but could not get through, so abandoned the attempt.
Next morning I tried again with my mobile, and got through. She had had so many well wishers phoning her. She was going for her cataract op on  Monday afternoon,and phoned us later in the evening to say she was ok, but couldn't judge if it had worked as sh'e d had so many drops in it. I had called on daughter to take some meals to try and compensate for what she had lost, but I'd had difficulty as when I opened the oven to put the second one in, the oven must have gone out and it wouldn't relight, so everything got finished off in the pressure cooker .Someone had provided Mum in law with meal.
Yesterday wasn't very exciting, tried to phone C to visit her, and couldn't get through , only to find later that she had spent most of the morning alone. Today I had a slight weight loss, then went to Sainsbury's again. I must get stuck into buying stuff for Christmas, but as usual am struggling with motivation.Oh well, only a month till the shortest day, then the evenings will begin to get lighter. I have started using my lightbox, hope it works soon. Another funeral/thanksgivng service tomorrow, for the friend killed in the car accident, so I'm trying to get to bed earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment