Sunday 21 March 2010

Oh, it's Sunday, yes it's Sunday

I can remember a dj in my youth singing that, can't remember who. It's not been a bad few days. I am definitely sleeping better, but what the quality of my sleep is I am unsure. On Thursday I suddenly realised I had lost a magazine that I had bought which had a recipe in which I was going to use for our Fellowship day tea on Saturday.Time for a tidy and a hunt. I knew I needed something to top the traybake with, but what I was unsure.
Eventually I located the magazine and realised it was apricot glaze. Great!that's easy enough. read a bit further, and realised I did not have the right tin in which to bake said traybake.
Off to Sainsbury's, bought the papers, plus local paper, which was a day late. Located apricot glaze, checked apples for Jazz variety, No joy, bought Royal Gala instead. In the baking aisle, no fluted oblong tins.
 After soup and fruit went off to Ladies meeting, by car. The speaker was the LTS student who is with us for 3 weeks. He spoke on a Psalm. He was quite clear and very good. After coffee and washing up I headed into town in search of a fluted tin. None in Dyas, none in Debenham's, tried Wilkinson's- no joy. walked back to car and headed for one of our 'neighbourhood' shopping areas which has just about the only old fashioned iron mongers left in this town; no fluted tins.
As I drove home I prayed 'Lord, where can I get a tin?' I did think maybe John Lewis, but it wasn't till I got home I thought, 'oh yes, Lakeland'. I looked on their website and yes they had them, J L had something similar on their website, but seemingly dearer.
On Friday I was up earlier than usual. Husband took my car and I took his for its MOT. I then walked into town, a good two and a half miles before I reached M&S. I did stop off in the shopping centre for a call of nature, but was cross, as I had passed 2 loos on my way, one of which the Council has permanently closed, and one which has limited opening. In M&S I did my fruit and veg shopping, to save time on Saturday morning, and discovered the elusive Jazz apples, so I bought two packs as they were on offer. As I left Marks I realised I was starving as all I had had was a  banana in my rush to get the car in. I scoffed a Jazz apple, quite nice very crisp and not too sweet. It was a nice day, but I was cold walking and wished I had picked up my gloves.
I got the bus back up the hill, then did a bit of tidying and waited for the garage to phone, they had promised the car for 12 noon. At 11.45. I rang the garage to be told  'we're working on it, no wait it's done, we rang you at 11 am.'  'No you didn't' I said hastily checking my mobile. After I repeated my number he said ' oh sorry, we've got too many 7s in your number'.
I grabbed coat and bag, and went for the bus. It was raining! I waited 15 minutes for a bus, which goes into town first. In the town centre the bus invariably fills up, and there are always young women with buggies. I have nothing against young women with buggies, but nowadays they do not collapse the buggies, but the platform is lowered for them. On Friday there were 3, all with shopping bulging out at the sides, and the area  for buggies/ wheelchairs was soon full and the aisle completely blocked. They then got cross with an elderly chap who had to squeeze past all their shopping. I felt sorry for the poor chap. Goodness knows what would happen if a wheelchair user got on.
Eventually I got to my stop and soon picked up the car, which had passed its MOT. Home for a quick, goat's cheese salad and yoghurt, then off to Brent park which is our nearest Lakeland. I must admit I did buy more than the tray, and then thought as I was so close, popped over to Brent Cross. Ages ago I caught my carving knife somehow in a drawer, and it bent, and no matter what I did it would not straighten. I have been looking for a replacement carving set ever since. I'd had that one since I was 19; in regular use since I was 21. John Lewis had one set, no steel £55, and one £75. As I left JL I saw the unmistakable Marc Warren, sitting on a bench, looking as if he didn't want to be shopping, and being hauled to his feet by a lady friend.  I felt sorry for him too. I got a carving set, not exactly what I wanted, in Fenwicks, and only £ 25. I think I might complete the rest of this post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment