Sunday 7 March 2010

A very special week

Just over 5 years ago we were coming up to our 25th wedding anniversary and wanted to mark it in a special way. Husband is not a party person, so, as he had never been to the Lake District, I suggested that we booked a hotel there for the week. After some deliberation I settled on one in Bowness on Windermere, described as a Country House hotel, once owned by Beatrix Potter's family. It was in the middle price range, not too cheap, and not 'suck air in through your teeth' prohibitively expensive. Well we went there and had a lovely week. For various reasons we have never managed to go back there, but decided that it would be the perfect place to celebrate our 30th anniversary.
As it happened we were both really ready for a break. There was a slight problem with the booking as they were very busy last weekend, but we ended up on the second floor, no lift, in a deluxe room, complete with iced water, towelling gowns and slippers, bucket of ice, iron and ironing board, and our very own safe. The room was about 3 times the size of our own bedroom and overlooked the gardens, with a glimpse of the lake. We could also look out to snow capped fells.
The food was as good as ever, 5 course dinners with a complimentary 'amuse bouche' from the chef, and canapes whilst we chose from the menu, and petit fours with the coffee in the lounge.
We went to Kendal, and had hot chocolate (mine with ginger)in the Chocolate House, visited Lakeland's head quarters at Windermere, went to Keswick and walked up to the Lodore Falls, walked around Tarn Hows, which was frozen, spent time in Coniston, cruised Windermere, and had a good walk in Grizedale Forest. Despite the cold, the weather was mostly sunny. We were however glad of our warm wear.
One evening we were the only guests for dinner, everyone else must have gone elsewhere, we thought they were mad, the restaurant has 2 rosettes. I suppose not everyone is a fan of new English cuisine though. I think my favourite was trio from the sea, a mini fish pie, sea bass and a large seared scallop. I do weigh a little bit more than when I went, but we had been so active that it is minimal. Last time we were there one lady told me she had put on a stone on her previous visit.
There are things that I am missing about the Lake District:
The Beautiful view from our window
being waited on hand and foot
not having to think, what shall I cook tonight?
not having to wash up
my bed turned back and a chocolate on my pillow.
Things that I do not miss about the Lake District:
Freezing cold public loo seats.
public loos that only have cold taps for hand washing
and the hand dryer at Coniston which blew icy cold air, my hands took hours to thaw out.
Walking up 4 flights of stairs at least three times a day, (however I do feel fitter)
I will try and upload some pics, but there will be more on my facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely. Congratulations on thirty years. Must get up to the Lakes for a walk again soon. Love Tarn Hows.

    ReplyDelete