Wednesday 24 March 2010

One more day to my Birthday.

Well I'm in a reflective mood. Since my Birthday last year a lot has happened. Life has completely changed in some ways, whilst remaining the same in others. We travelled many miles last year: to Wales twice, Scotland, Cornwall, Doncaster, Manchester and Macclesfield; to Bexhill several times, and most recently to The Lake District. Inside I don't feel any older, but when I look in the mirror I see more fine lines beginning to appear. Am I more forgetful? difficult to say, sometimes I cannot remember things but I wonder how much tiredness contributes to that. I went upstairs twice today to fetch my watch, but I've been doing things like that for years. The problem is I get distracted by something whilst I am up there.
I don't think that Monday was too exciting, Daughter came round as she had a week off, and had a bath whilst here. Their water supply is a bit haphazard, and their landlord, whilst quite happy to take their rent is not so ready to put things right. Hopefully that will not be a problem for too much longer as they have had  an offer accepted on a house.
I noticed our overflow was leaking, but did not feel inclined to go up into the loft whilst alone, although I have done many times. Husband came home and the first thing he mentioned was the overflow. We quickly put up the ladder and I went up and found the ball floating free, having split and broken off. I managed to reattach it temporarily whilst husband went to  a DIY store for a new one. He bought 2 different sizes, but one would not fit. Then I had to use pliers to take off the broken connection, trying to avoid dropping pliers or torch into a full tank. Every time I tried to fit the new ball it floated so that I couldn't get the thread in the right place. We turned the water off and after  I had released some water I succeeded.
Yesterday Daughter and I went to the shopping centre at MK; she needed new work clothes, and as it's ages since we had a girly day out I went along. I also bought a dress. I fell in love with the design and material, it soooo yelled 'Summer'.Later as I paraded it  for husband and daughter, asking the usual question 'Do I look like mutton dressed as lamb?' It is a fear I have had for over 10 years now, but I do not want to look ridiculous. I guess that is my Birthday money spent. We also lunched at John Lewis, but I was good and had a salad and fruit salad. I also stocked up on M&S low fat sausages. Our branch no longer does them, so when I see them I stock up. The recipe has changed and  I'm not sure I like it so much.
Today when I was  in my kitchen I saw a very unusual sight. 2 men in High vis jackets actually picking up litter on our pavements! Once upon a time the pavements were swept regularly, but now that only happens in the town centre.
Son and Daughter in Law moved some of their stuff on Monday, but as the flat they are renting is so small they only took essentials. They went back to return the van yesterday, and hopefully come back South today. It will  be the first time I have seen all the family on my Birthday for a while, so I am looking forward to it. Hopefully when the house sells they will be able to bring the rest and put it in storage till they get sorted with a new place. Most important is a job for Son, so could I ask you all to pray for that please?
Yesterdays mist and mizzle has given way to a beautiful sunny day, so I feel pretty good and my daffs are beginning to unfold. I love Spring, maybe it's because I was a Spring baby, although husband also was and he loves Winter!
I feel a bit sad as I have been trying to contact an old friend by phone, but her answering machine is always on. The other day her Daughter answered, and said her Mum was busy, but she would get her to ring back. She didn't, so I rang and got the answering machine. I contacted a mutual friend who has also had problems with contact from S and she still hasn't had any response. The problem seems to stem from not long after  S's Daughter had a complete mental and physical breakdown last year, which resulted in a very unusual illness. We have offered help but she doesn't seem to want it from us. I have sent her a note, which is all I can do. I find it hard to let go of  friends, but realise that some friendships do naturally peter out. I will have to pray for wisdom and just be here if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment