Tuesday 8 June 2010

A burning issue

I forgot to mention that when Daughter and Son-in Law came round a week last Sunday, I had put the separator from my pressure cooker down on top of the stove. I came to move it when I was doing the desserts and dropped it rather quickly. I had forgotten to turn the gas off, it was down low, so that the gravy would not boil over, but as I had taken the gravy off, and  I couldn't see the flame......
I ended up with two badly burned fingers, I was glad I hadn't said any naughty words. I sat with my left hand in  a jug of water whilst eating strawberries and ice cream with my right. I felt like sticking my left paw in the ice cream! Out came the burneze, which helped a bit. Before we went off to the evening service I located the blister plasters as I had one surface blister and another deeper.
On the Monday the blister plasters were peeling off round the edges, and in frustration I peeled them off. The surface blister actually came off with the plaster. Since then I have tried a variety of dressings, none of which worked entirely in keeping the wound clean and dry. I left the dressings off, and got a measure of healing, but dressed it with Melolin and micropore for the sake of those who had to look at it when we were in church.
Keeping it dry enough to heal was a real problem, I have showered wearing  a rubber glove, but water still seeped in. Yesterday I dressed it with Melolin, donned a 'surgical' type glove, put an elastic band round the wrist and got in the shower. I even washed my hair, Success!
The surface blister is now healing, and the skin over the deep blister has cracked and peeled leaving lovely pink new skin underneath. I must remember to use rubber gloves every time I wash up for now, I'm supposed to wear gardening gloves too, but I feel so clumsy in them. I hope I have learned to be more careful in checking that the gas is off, or find somewhere else to put the separator.

No comments:

Post a Comment