Monday 14 June 2010

pains and (knitting) needles

Well it's been a busy week,  parent and toddlers' again, spring cleaning the church at Ladies meeting,catching up on housework, and more garden centre. We went there for some slabs for the front, but they didn't have the ones we wanted. Got more compost, a rather nice prunus tree, ornamental, and my favourite copper osteospermum. Husband worked very hard on Saturday afternoon putting more bark down, and planting out my ceanothus, which had just finished flowering, and the new hydrangea, which is busy changing colour. The bees loved my ceanothus. I'd like another in a deeper blue. I'm seeing them everywhere at the moment.
Glad to say that my finger has now healed reasonably well. I have an appointment with my osteopath tomorrow; last time he saw me 6 months ago, his last words to me were, 'Take care of that back' The following day I fell in the snow!
I don't know whether to mention my aching shoulder and neck, the problem is if I do I will probably end up on weekly appointments again. I think I have been knitting too much, one of the baby jackets is finished, the pattern was a bit of a problem, I think I might write to the manufacturers; there is definitely something wrong somewhere, 2 pairs of needles stated, yet only one size mentioned all through. The sleeves kept ending up too long, and with the tension calculations it could not possibly not end up too long, if that doesn't sound Irish. In the end I used the smaller needles for the sleeves Presto!
I will give myself a rest before I tackle the next jacket. The problem is that I can't sleep for shoulder pain, can't get comfy, so I'm hitting the cocodamol again. Our son has managed to secure part time work, not what he wanted , but it will help pay the rent. There should be overtime too. Their house still hasn't sold though.
Today I have been ploughing through a mountain of ironing, and we now have a clean bed and clean towels. I've also got the last of husband's seedlings planted so feel quite virtuous. The strawberries are coming, and we've had quite a few. So much better than from the supermarket. Plenty of rhubarb too. We had rhubarb tonight, but I think it may have been a mistake as I had some of my homemade cauliflower soup today. I needed to use up some cauliflower and soup is ideal for less than best veg. The herbs are running wild too, must pick and freeze some. I had parsley sauce with my fish on Friday.
I tried a bit of coriander in the soup. I must look up more recipes online. Well this is turning into a garden blog, sorry! Life is a bit quiet at the moment, but sometimes it can be too hectic. I ordered husband's tax disc online today, bad memories of it being forgotten 2 years ago with the excitement of the wedding and going on a wild goose chase to Exeter (whilst on holiday) to try and get it sorted. It's good now you can order from the 5th of the month, and they will check MOT  and insurance for you. Must go it's bedtime.

1 comment:

  1. It`s great when the garden starts providing well. We have a Caenothus too which is stunning in the allotment front border, and rhubarb and strawberries are abundant too. Going to try a rhubarb and rosewater with rice pudding today, and I also need to freeze away some herbs which are everywhere. Love this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete