Sunday 6 June 2010

A hotch potch, a hose and a whodunnit revealed.

Sunday evening again already! Two excellent sermons today, not much rain, a bit sticky in church, and an invasion by Daughter and Son-in-Law this evening. It's been an odd week, weather very mixed, and with the bank holiday difficulty knowing what day it was.
We were unable to contact Mum-in- Law for a couple of days, her phone kept going straight to the answering machine. If she was still down the road , 12 miles away one of us could have nipped over, but as she is 100 miles away, one cannot just 'nip'. We had a good ladies meeting on Thursday afternoon, the pastor spoke on the woman with the jar of oil; not so many there as it was half term.
On Friday I went to a thanksgiving service for P who had been killed by a car whilst out running. I had ordered 2 skirts from M&S online, one of which I thought might be sober enough to wear. Both were from the same range, bur when they arrived I couldn't do up the zip on the one I wanted to wear. I measured them and one is about 2 inches bigger than the other. I will have to have a moan at M&S about standardising their sizes. This happened last summer, when I bought 3 pairs of trousers all from the same range, and each was a different length and width
I chose another patterned skirt, and when I got to the  service I was chatting to a friend who said that the widow had requested no black. I felt sorry for the lady I had seen arriving all in black. I caught up with a few friends after the service, and enquired about G. He stopped having chemo as it gave him a blood clot on the lung, and last week went up to London every day by train for radiotherapy, then came home by train. I also met the youngest Son of the widow, whom I taught in Sunday school, he vaguely remembered me. He is a fine Christian, and is getting married next year. It is always thrilling to hear that our former Sunday school pupils are trusting the Lord.
I hurried back home as my Son was coming over to visit as he had to meet someone in St Albans. We tried everything we could think of to sort Grandma's phone problem, but as we only know one neighbour's Christian name, and the vicar was away, we didn't have much success. Whilst here Son took a phone call about an interview not the sort of job he wants, but at present he will do anything. As he left he said he is quite bored, and really loves working. I do pray that something will come up soon.
 On Saturday I at last managed to contact the Vicar, who sent someone round to Mum-in-Law. We soon got an apologetic phone call, one phone had been off its cradle, she must have knocked it at some time. Husband wanted to buy some weed control stuff, so we ended up back at the garden centre we visited on Monday. We didn't spend quite so much, but had lunch there. Their cafe is really nice. The indoor plant section was almost unbearable as it was a  cloudy muggy day, but I did get tempted by an orchid, and some water bubbles, which you fill with water and invert in the soil to keep indoor plants watered during periods away.
I had tracked down yet another hose connector online, and it arrived on Saturday, although the postie didn't ring, just left it outside the front  Good thing I checked out there. Husband managed to work out how to fit it, and we were able to use a hose.
Late afternoon, I put some more bedding plants in, then just as I finished watering all the pots, it began to rain and pelted down! After the rain I was called out to clear up the mess which I had been unable to do when the deluge began.  I  asked Husband where to put the compost, and he said under the table for now. As I lifted the table cover, what did I find but the red trug which had  gone missing! Now I wonder who put it there?
The front garden is beginning to take shape, but with only Saturdays for Husband to work on it, plus the odd dry Bank holiday, it is a slow job.We did buy a lovely hydrangea from our local Sainsbury's which we hope to plant out there at some stage.
I was checking our front garden fuchsia, when an elderly gentleman passing by asked me if I had been a Land Girl! I said' I'm not that old','Ooh no' said he 'you'd have to be at least 80'. Bless him, I think he was just trying to make conversation. he is a nice old chap, he pushes  an old pushchair which helps him to walk, I once said he should get a scooter but he pooh poohed it saying he would rather walk Well I'd better go soon as it's past midnight and this will be turning into next weeks blog! Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment