Sunday 24 October 2010

Back in the old routine, (well nearly)

I've been trying to get back into routine after last weeks trip away, but it has not been  easy. On Monday I had to go into town to transfer some money for a bill I paid just before we went away. I also had to take my glasses in as the other arm had broken off, oh the shame! They said I would not have to pay as they were under 1 year old. I also went to Debenham's to try and find a jacket to match a dress I had bought in the sale last week, for a third of the price. The jacket was not quite as inexpensive, but I got it and am now waiting for a special occasion, next Spring perhaps? I mustn't gain any weight though.
I may not have mentioned on here that our combi microwave died suddenly a few days before we went away.  We really missed it, so on Monday afternoon I took the dead one to the dump, having cleared out the mess under and behind it, and then set off in search of  new one.Our local Curry's had one, almost exactly the same model, but half the price that we paid for the original 10 years ago. I duly bought it and brought it home trying to be careful, but my disc problem has been niggling a bit. The worst bit was trying to get through the back gate, I just couldn't lift the latch without putting the heavy box down
I did put a little weight on last week, but it came off. For the rest of last week it has fluctuated though, partly as I am  having trouble sleeping again. I blame that night in the travel inn.  Actually that hard bed probably didn't do my disc any favours.Fair dos though they contacted me and offered me a full refund, and I had a letter from them which confirmed that there had been a problem with the water temperature, so it wasn't just me.
On Tuesday I had my mammagram booked, just the 3 year routine one. Daughter rang and asked if I could look after Baby whilst she went to the dentist, I said OK, and thought I had better start moving. I walked down to get the papers, which gave me some exercise, then decided to go early for the mammagram, as time was rather tight. I did wonder whether to tell Daughter I would meet her at the dentist, but I got to the unit at 10.50 for an 11.10 appt, They say their appts are 5 minutes apart, but there was only one other lady in there actually in the x-ray room. I was in at 11.00 am, and out before my appointment time, so got to daughter's in plenty of time.
She left me a bottle of expressed milk as she had had to cut short a feed. He would not settle, so I had to give it to him. He drank every drop. Daughter soon came back and I left, and she promised to come round later to use our internet. Naturally I didn't get much done when she came. (who is complaining?)  Later her husband rang as he was coming home early as the electrics had failed where he worked.
On Wednesday he came here to work using our Broadband. I went off to a Tear Craft coffee morning, I was sad to see as I went down the garden, that my beautiful late Dahlia, which I had meant to photograph, had been killed by the frost. A local town had a temperature of -5.7 just before dawn. I met some old friends and chatted, but just bought Christmas cards, the crafts are very pretty, but I don't know who I would buy them for. Then it was home for lunch, and off to parent and toddler's. Daughter came, with baby, and one friend in particular was delighted when he appeared to respond to her as she chatted to him. I've been getting smiles and gurgles for a while.
Afterwards daughter and I met up at Sainsbury's, but Baby was very restless in his car seat, we had to take it in turns to carry him round. Of course the temperature by the chill cabinets doesn't help. I'm not used to shopping in the afternoon. Daughter took her stuff home and I came home and unpacked mine. Later I took Son in Law home. The problem at work had been fixed so it was a one-off.
On Thursday I just did routine stuff, and was busy on the internet, when I looked at my watch I realised I was too late for ladies' meeting.We had the brochure for the holiday rental company that we use in St Ives, and the flat we used last time is no longer in the brochure. There is a lot of property on the market there, as the recession has bitten, people have decided to sell second homes. I was looking for alternatives. It seems awful to have to book next year's holiday so early, but St Ives is very popular.
I had 2 really bad nights, not sleeping till 3am. On Friday I went to see my friends C&C. I haven't been since the baby was born. They were away just before we were. I took some photo's and I think she could just about see them through her magnifier, she has severe untreatable macular disease. She has had to have several ops, 3 for cancer, and has been told that operations can affect you when older. I don't know if this is just an excuse for the medics not being able to say what causes her to tremble, and sometimes fall.
She was quite cheerful though, and we chatted about old friends, when we could remember their names!
I went to Tesco afterwards, it was freezing in there. Their heating had packed up, and with all the freezers going it was like an ice-box.
Yesterday was a normal Saturday although we drove to town as my back wasn't too clever. I took a Cocodamol, then another before bed, but was very aware that my asthma was bad during the night. Codeine does depress the breathing  At least I slept and well before the 3am of the two previous nights.
One bright spot of this week was reading an article in Woman's Weekly about  the lady who was inspired to start Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. As I read the article, I realised she was someone with whom I used to do Beach Mission, more years ago than I care to remember. I looked them up on the internet and found her husband is on facebook, so sent him a message and had a response from Jan, his wife. It's good to be in touch again.
Our second sermon on 'Thou shalt not kill' this morning, very thought provoking, there are over 11, 500 abortions every day worldwide. Over 365 days that is an awful lot of deaths of the unborn. So very very sad.
 I broke my other glasses too, but have made a temporary repair till there is a decent interval. I will need new frames. They are very pretty but a bit flimsy. Not really suitable for a grandmother when he is a bit bigger and able to grab.

No comments:

Post a Comment