Sunday 17 October 2010

Nathaniel goes to Wales.

I'm now back home after spending most of last week in North Wales, and overnight in Macclesfield. We go twice a year to North Wales to see my sister, who does not often travel. This time we rented a bungalow in Abergele. It had 2 bedrooms, so Daughter and husband came too, with baby Nathaniel.
We had a pretty good journey up there, the weather was good, and found the bungalow easily, it was in a nice quiet area.
We usually go to Chester to church once a year, but went more locally to a small church in Rhuddlan, Gosen. Their congregation seems smaller these days, perhaps some were away, but we have heard that there is a church a couple of miles away which is fashionable, and at least one couple we know have gone there.The preacher was a visitor too, he was last there 2 years ago, he remembered us and where we came from! Daughter and Husband had had a bad night as Baby was unsettled by the journey, so they did not make it to church. After lunch and a short doze, I went to visit Sister, but some family members had already gone home. My niece was away, and her Son had a cold so we didn't see anyone else. The others came over for tea, and we spent a pleasant evening chatting (and watched Antiques Road Show)
On Monday we wandered around Rhyl, it is still quite a depressing place, although there is much building work planned and some more demolition has gone on. Only one toilet open on the promenade meant that we had to hot foot it to the town hall. The season there definitely ends in September. I browsed the shops whilst husband went for a haircut, despite the sunshine we soon got tired and headed back to our base.
On Tuesday husband had a painful foot, so I went off with Daughter, her husband and Baby to Llandudno. After lunch in Tiffany's  we separated, they did what they wanted to do and I browsed  my usual shops. However I didn't really buy anything. I ventured on to the prom, but there was a cold wind, so set off in search of a coffee whilst I waited for the others. Later I bought a rolling pin for husband to exercise his foot.
On Wednesday we all headed for Bettws y Coed, where we browsed the station shops, had lunch al fresco, and husband went in search of his first new pair of walking boots in over 30 years. The chap in the shop said it sounded as if the foot pain was plantar fasciitis, which I had already suggested. He measured husband's feet properly and duly fitted him with decent boots. Then we wandered a bit more, and I bought a bright red duffle jacket. Daughter and husband rushed off to Pentrefoelas, to a chocolate shop which turned out to be closed, and as we were leaving Bettws, they were heading back as baby needed feeding, and Daughter was fixated on getting a hot chocolate. They got one where we had had lunch.
On Thursday the morning was the usual disorganised chaos, which meant that husband and I did not leave for Chester till Noon. The other 2 were not quite ready, so eventually they went to Conwy to explore the castle.I met a friend in Chester, at the foot of the M&S escalator, and we had a catching up session. She is due to become a Grandparent soon in stereo! Both her Son and Daughter are awaiting arrivals. Sadly she also broke the news to me that Mike, who had been part of our group of young people, had died. He had had a sad time earlier and became bit of a drifter, and eventually fell away from church life and became an alcoholic like his father before him. Friends were trying to help him during his final illness, but I don't know if he returned to the Lord before he died. It was the second death I had heard of that week, strangely enough the lady concerned  had moved from Rhyl many years ago to our home town, where she had a sister.
I had a good look around Chester, and went down to the river to take some pics. Husband went to his usual shops, then we met up for the park and ride back to Sainsbury's.
Friday morning was spent packing and Daughter and I also bought flowers and visited Dad and Mum's grave. the cemetery is getting pretty full, I don't know where they will acquire more land. After lunch we cleared up and set off for Macclesfield to visit our Son and his wife. As there were so many of us, husband and I had booked into a travel inn. Son cooked us  a meal, he is a very good cook, and after a pleasant evening chatting we left at about 10 for the lodge.
Unfortunately, the bed was extremely hard and as a back sufferer I could not sleep. Husband who can sleep anywhere, complained of his discomfort too. I then had a battle with the shower, an unfamiliar set of controls which meant that I leapt out of the bath after being doused in freezing water, then after I'd had a reasonable shower, tried to turn it off, being unable to see, I turned it the wrong way and got scalding water, and a very red back.
This company say they they give money back if not satisfied, so I have lodged a complaint on their website and am awaiting a response. Son cooked us a full English, and around lunchtime husband and I set off for home, whilst the others set off for the Trafford centre so that the house would be empty for a viewing. Daughter and family are returning home today.
It was good to be back in our own home and bed, although the heating is a bit haphazard. We came home to the estimate for replacing the leaky radiators, and will have to start saving our pennies. It's good to be back in our own church too and we were eased back into the 10 commandments. I don't think that we missed any, as Ian didn't preach last week. I put on thick tights as it was 44 f in our garden, but saw someone in bare legs and sandals. It takes all sorts!

1 comment:

  1. I was very glad to meet your daughter and SIL and grandson on Sunday. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete