Friday 8 October 2010

Central heating, showers and Sunshine

The plumber came on Monday. He checked our system and said we did not need a power flush. He told me that  the pump which pumped the cold water to the shower was dying, but he could not understand why we had the pump. I explained that the chap who fitted it had fitted it from the water tank in the loft. He said, 'but it should have been connected to the main which supplies the loft tank' The annoying hum was caused by the central heating pump having been connected to come on for 24 hours.The fact that it had been on 24/7 for 6 years meant it was wearing a bit, so that was the reason for the hum.
The reason  the radiator in the living room wasn't coming on was that it is the last on the system and as the radiators upstairs were full on, (my fault) the water didn't quite make it to the last radiator. The bathroom radiator, which the gas engineer said had no water in it, did come on quite hot when tested.
So: he disconnected the shower pump, reconnected the shower to the main, rebalanced the radiators, and rewired the central heating pump. He said he didn't like to criticise, but he wondered if the chap who did the shower and the boiler actually knew what he was doing. We stopped using him because he fitted a valve wrongly on the toilet, which caused it to leak, and also missed off another valve. He was recommended to us by someone in our previous church, so I'm glad we don't have the embarrassment of having to share our plumbing problems.
The only thing the new plumber did suggest was that we had 2 radiators that sometimes leaked replaced. I am waiting for an estimate for this. Now there is no hum at night, and if I touch the heating pump it is not so hot that I worry about an airing cupboard fire. Plus I have saved £500 by not having the Gas board flush.
On Tuesday I went to Watford just for a look around, and ended up drooling over the dining suite, which we really like, again. We haven't had much joy with dining suites, but that is another story. On the way home I popped in on Daughter, and she had been going to come and see me, so she gathered up her stuff and came here as she wanted to use our internet. They are still not connected. I enjoyed some cuddle time with Baby. I managed to find the old nursery rhymes tape which we had for our 2. It still plays beautifully, must be over 25 years old. Baby likes being sung to.
On Wednesday  after Sainsbury's, I had lunch and dashed off for parent and toddler's. For some reason all the lady leaders were a bit crazy that day. We had a good number there, but Daughter didn't make it. I went up there just after husband got home to take a chicken and bacon pie. Her husband was going to be late, so she was glad to have dinner sorted.
I remembered yesterday to take a pair of trousers to the dry cleaners, then, as I was eating lunch, Daughter rang to say Baby was being grizzly and she didn't know what to do with him. She felt like going out. I had ladies meeting, but said I would go up for a while. Baby was indeed grizzly, I wonder if her antibiotics are upsetting him? I took over and sent her for a bath and a bit of 'me' time. I managed, just, to keep him fairly quiet till she came down, but I missed ladies meeting. I had to leave to go to the hairdressers, and just as I did she decide to take him for a walk in the sling. I was in M&S when she phoned to say she had walked to the Marina, and he was fast asleep. So she got some fresh air and exercise and Baby got a much needed nap.
My hair feels better now it has been cut. the weather has changed again, hot yesterday, rain overnight and a muggy morning. When I got back from my walk I changed into a  t shirt.  The sun has come out and I'm sitting here with the back door open. it's 76.3 in here.
I must go soon as I have been wading through a pile of ironing, not literally I hasten to add. I still have more to do. It would be nice to see that rare sight, the bottom of the ironing basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment