Sunday 5 December 2010

Advent adventures part one

Well I managed to survive the rest of Monday, despite the poor start. Actually after a second call to the call centre, I managed to find the local phone number for the dairy. The very helpful lady said 'we had a replacement milkman today,' she had heard nothing of my problems, despite the promises made by call centre. She 'would try and get a pint to me tomorrow'. Presumably they were still short staffed, so I didn't get the promised pint.
On Tuesday morning I went over to Watford, as I wanted to look for some Christmas presents. I bought one and a few stocking fillers. I couldn't get my car back into my garage because I had the same problem as last winter, ie someone had parked against the fence in front of my garage, and my car cannot get the necessary grip on the slight slope up to the garage. I ended up with my front bumper touching his van. By using the passenger side floor mat behind the nearside wheel I was able to get sufficient grip to get away from his van, and brought the car back to our parking area where it stayed till yesterday. Daughter came round with baby, her husband was working form home. Baby seems to be having trouble shaking off his cold, but is otherwise fine.
On Tuesday evening I went back to Watford to meet Son from the railway station. It was cold waiting and his train was delayed. He was chatting about his part time job on the way home, there are various training schemes he could go on to get better qualified, but is still unsure that this is the way that God is leading. 
It was good to see him. On Wednesday morning I took him  to St Albans, and we collected the paperwork for  small car a friend was selling to them. I took him to the town centre to buy the road tax, and drove around the town centre till he was ready to be picked up; then back to the friend's house to collect the car. He checked it all over, then we parted, and I went off to the local Sainsbury's which used to be a Savacentre, I was a bit disappointed as it there is probably less choice than there is in ours. There is a huge M&S right next door, and I think they must have some of the old Sainsbury's floor space. As I left for the car in biting freezing wind, I met an old friend who did not know that we were grandparents. We didn't chat for long as it was so cold  and she was on her way to Cardiff. I couldn't wait to get home for some hot soup.
I saw quite a lot of Daughter last week as she came round a few times to use my sewing machine. I looked after Nathaniel whilst she sewed. I made it to ladies meeting where we wrapped small gifts for the old folk at the day centre where we take a carol service, and for other old folk at homes where the church holds monthly services. On Thursday evening I went online and  ordered several Christmas presents, good old Amazon wish lists
On Friday the plumber came with the new radiators. I had dressed in my thermal trousers and a vest under my normal clothes, and didn't get cold. He fitted the two new radiators and thermostats on all the others. He didn't even take a lunch break. I got my card making stuff out and made a few cards. I told him about our problem with the boiler overheat and he said 'Ah, you had a pump running 24 hours, now this, you need a new pcb in the boiler'. He quoted me the local suppliers price, then said 'you may want to go on line and look for a cheaper one, if you can get one I can fit it'. That is what I like about this chap he seems quite honest, and accepts us as we are without making rude remarks about our permanent state of clutter, unlike the last plumber. I duly ordered a much cheaper pcb, which arrived yesterday. Now that is service! I made an orange chip cake on Friday evening for our ladies' coffee morning.
Yesterday dawned foggy, and it seemed a bit slushy underfoot. I dressed up, for the coffee morning, but put thermals underneath as the church hall can be quite cold. The coffee morning went quite well, but  not quite as many attended as usually do. We think the weather put them off. The lady speaker was very good and got her message over quite clearly. Afterwards I nipped into M&S for a few bits then home, and we had spag bol. followed by a browse through the papers and a quick 'forty winks'  Then we got ready for a party. Our friend C, who has had a lot of illness was 80 on Friday, so we went to her Son's home, for a party, mainly family and just 6 close friends. As we left for the party it was pelting with rain and most of the snow had gone. It wasn't a noisy do, just folk chatting over drinks, and then a buffet, followed by candles being blown out on a lovely cake.
We should have been babysitting in the evening, but Daughter and Son in law had been out all day, and when we got home we got a call to say Son in Law had decided to stay in, he'd had a bad night and was shattered, so Daughter would go to the 30th  Birthday party alone. Talking of bad nights I have been sleeping better, still not getting to bed early enough, but last night it was a bit warmer and I found it difficult to get comfortable, It was well after 2 before I dropped off. Not such a cold morning,still foggy, but warm fellowship at church, and an excellent sermon on the 10th commandment. Must go and put the kettle on. I wonder what this next week will bring? Lots of Amazon parcels I hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment