Sunday 21 August 2011

Is it the middle of August already?

Monday this week was little bit different in that husband worked from home, as we had a dental appointment. In the morning I walked into town as I badly needed the exercise. I had to transfer some money as I've had to pay in full for a  cottage which we will be staying in in the Autumn, when we visit my sister. I caught the bus back up the hill. I had lunch, and we arrived at the dentist's so early that the door was locked. We both escaped with just a scale and polish, although I still sometimes get pain where I had the root filling done last year, and neither of the teeth that hurt has a nerve!  We popped into town, and then later I went out again. when I got back, daughter was here with baby, she had called to return the strimmer. they had been clearing the jungle working on their rear garden again at the weekend. Husband was pleased, as he doesn't see as much of baby as I do. Afterwards, I spent a while in the loft looking for Daughter's first Birthday present from us, and emerged triumphant, but wheezing and coughing.
Later that evening, I got a call from Daughter to say that she had a bite on her leg which had caused her leg to swell, and her leg was very red, and the red area was spreading. I advised a trip to the walk in centre at the hospital. Next morning I found a message on my phone saying it was not thought to be an infection, but she had had an allergic reaction. How like me my Daughter is. She was given an antihistamine. Oh dear, I thought, that could mean she will be very zonked. I rang her, but she had been asleep, so was baby, so I didn't worry too much.
Later, I got a phone call, she sounded very slurry, so I offered to go up. Her leg was still pretty swollen and red, and after a while she asked if she could go to bed. I gave baby his lunch, he made a lovely mess with his water, then I cleared up and played with him for a while. Then I got his push chair out of the car, got him into it and we went out. We went to the paper shop, and I realised I had not had lunch, so got a roll from the local sandwich shop.I sat on a concrete bench to eat it. The Council have thoughtfully provided 3, but one has already been turned over and split. Suddenly I heard a familiar voice, it was a former neighbour, the one with whom I am always going to meet for coffee, but never manage it. So she sat beside me and I introduced her to baby, then we caught up on our news. Her husband has a similar shoulder problem to mine, sadly he has no private health insurance. His sister who also has a shoulder problem does have insurance, so she will probably get sorted first. Having replaced baby's socks twice, I gave up and put them in my bag. M had to go, so I pushed baby down the hill to our house, and let him try his Mum's 1st Birthday present.

He seemed to enjoy it for a while but cannot make it rock yet, so we found something else to play with. I tried to use the computer, but he wanted to come on my lap and press buttons and grab the mouse, so I didn't stay online very long. He seemed to be getting tired, so I decided to take him back home. I hoiked the pushchair up the steps, and reached the bus stop just as the bus approached. Unfortunately it was a coach style, with 4 very narrow steps. 'Oh dear' I said, I think I might have bit of trouble'. The driver somewhat rudely snapped, 'You will have to wait for the next', and just in case I hadn't heard, repeated it.
I hesitated for a moment, to go round the corner and wait for 15 minutes for the other circular bus, or walk up? The latter won. I took it slowly, I used to do that walk every day about 25 years ago to school. I also pushed son in his buggy. It is a mile up a very steep hill. At the top I turned on to the field as it is a bit nicer that way. Baby had fallen asleep about halfway up the hill. I let myself in  Daughter's house, and everything was so quiet. I sat for a while to recover from the walk, then went and tapped on her bedroom door. She woke up and was astonished at the time.  She said 'I have lost a day.' Well she did need to sleep the antihistamine off, and it gave me a taster of looking after Grandson. She felt much better, the red area on her leg had begun to diminish, and it was slightly less swollen. After a cup of tea, I decided it was time to come back home, baby was now awake so she was going to give him his tea. I slept quite well that night
Wednesday was more boring, physio, then a trip to Sainsbury's. I'm afraid I dozed off again after lunch. Unfortunately, that night I couldn't get to sleep, and have been having difficulty sleeping ever since. Well it looks like this week's blog will have to be a 2 parter again, I'm only half way through the week, and it's nearly time for my pre church cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment