Thursday 7 June 2012

A 60 year glorious reign, and some rain too

It is such a long time since I blogged  that I have forgotten a lot of what happened last week, fairly mundane stuff really, I did clear out the corner of shame in the kitchen, it is where the veg rack is and the bin, and the compost  holder, so sometimes gets a bit messy. However the most shocking news of the week was that the mother of 2 young girls who attend our Sunday School was murdered, and their father arrested for murder. So very sad, and an awful shock to the church.
The most annoying phone call of the week took place when I replied to an email about the money owed to us by the National Grid for the non resiting of the meter. They took the money from our credit card, so why they couldn't just put a credit through I don't know. So I had to hang on for about ten minutes listening to the most awful repetitive 'music' I have ever heard.The lady who eventually answered was sympathetic, as one of the first things I did was complain. Then all I had to do was to say to whom the cheque had to be made out. needless to say we are still waiting for the cheque. Nathaniel discovered how to climb up and stand on Grandad's swivel chair, fortunately he wasn't heavy enough to make it swivel! He did pull a floppy disc out of a computer though
At Weightwatchers I had gained a pound. I am at the stage when I have hit a plateau, and struggle a bit. The leader was sympathetic, and said she would like to see my tracker next week.
I had Nathaniel as usual, one day I made him a daisy chain as our lawn is full of them . He didn't seem too impressed though.
Both evenings husband joined me at Daughter's and we enjoyed Nat's antics and use of words. We didn't make it to the park or the swings either day, as I had to go into town for banking again. 
As the Queens's jubilee was approaching, I went rummaging upstairs and found this:-
I am second from right, my sister in the middle

This was teatime on Coronation day. We had a street party, with a fancy dress parade first, then we watched the Coronation on next door's tv, tv was still rare in those days, then we had a tea party in the local primary school hall. Sadly there was  no street party for us this year, the mini heat wave was over, and by Saturday it was raining, so we went into town by car to do the shopping.
Saturday seemed to fly by. Husband had chosen a M&S £10 for 2 meal, and for once his choice fitted in with my food plan. The dessert, didn't , but that was my choice, and I counted it in to the day's total anyway.
On Sunday morning our Pastor preached on the Jubilee, which in those days was every 50 years, but everyone had a year off.
We watched the flotilla in the  evening on iplayer, but fast forwarded most of the inane BBC commentary. I thought the Queen did really well to stand all the time. I also spoke to Mum in Law, who hadn't been out at all, she was resting. She had fallen asleep watching the river pageant. I can understand why. The weather has been really bad again, rain grey skies, and occasional flashes of sun. Oh and a cold wind. I  am wearing a winter jacket, long sleeved t shirts, and apart from weigh days, trousers. For the record, it was cold and wet on Coronation Day too!
Over the Bank Holiday we eventually got round to trying to put up the kitchen cupboard, yes THAT one, the one that spent nearly a year in my car boot. However I hit a snag, had I drilled in one place I would have hit an electrical cable, so off to the DIY store, and we bought a detector for electrical currents. then later we had to go to Wickes to buy a 400 mm cupboard rather than face electrocution.  Anyone need a 500mm wall cupboard?
I got the brackets up with husband's help, but the cupboard just would not stay put. Just before I went to bed I re read the instructions, which have no words, just pictures, and realised I was 4mm out! So I am trying again. I had Nat yesterday, slight difference this week. He came with me to Weight watchers, and Sainsbury's then had a wonderful time pulling packs of screws off shelves in Homebase.
I have been trying to get washing dried and ironing done as with the double Bank Holiday I have got really behind. I managed to lose oneand a half pounds this week, so am back to where I started a few weeks ago. It's not so easy going walking in the rain, but we managed a fair distance this morning, Nat in the buggy, before we felt the first few drops. I hope the weather improves as Daughter is off to a wedding on Saturday,
I have been holding out trying not to go to the Doctor's as I have yet another flare up of my sinuses, but I think I may have to go. I haven't got Nat tomorrow, so can hopefully man the phone from 8am. It should be open surgery this week.
Well it looks as it may have stopped raining, I can actually see the sun! Rainy weather does produce beauty however:

Hope you have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment