Tuesday 26 June 2012

We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather,

The second Wednesday dawned cloudy. The forecast was for rain by evening. We spent some time deciding what to do, and I said to husband 'We have brought our walking boots, but haven't worn them, why don't we walk from Sennen Cove, to Land's End. That way we avoid paying at Land's End, and we get a scenic walk'. He thought that sounded a good idea, so we set off, via the big car park at the back pf St Ives, as I wanted to use the recycling at the car park. That road is fairly winding, and it seemed to take for ever to get to Sennen. We were quite disturbed to see police and Coastguards at the old Botallack mine, and wondered what was going on. Later we heard on the news that someone had fallen whilst climbing the cliffs at Bosigran. He was airlifted to Trelissick, but sadly died
Eventually we arrived at Sennen, and found a parking place, paying for enough time to enable us to walk to Land's End and back. we popped in a cafe and bought one pasty and one crab sandwich which we ate in the car. We had passed the tearoom where we almost walked off without paying a few years ago, after drinking our tea outside. It now appears closed, so perhaps we aren't the only ones who forgot to pay.
We got out our walking boots put them on, I paid a final visit to the ladies' room, and we set off towards the path. The path began with lots of shallow steps. We were about 4 steps up when it began to rain, husband's knee was hurting, I was getting palpitations at the thought of all those steps, and he said 'I don't think this is a good idea'.
We set off to find somewhere for coffee, passing the place where we had bought the takeaway. As we walked the heavens opened, and down came the rain in Torrents. I was wearing my new 3 in1 jacket, as I had thought it might be chilly up on the cliffs. The next cafe was right at the end of the beach. The rain was pouring off our jackets on to our trousers which soon became soaked. Rain dripped off our noses, and we were so glad to reach the Beach cafe. we were made welcome, and were given menus, husband said something like, 'Blow the cofee, I'm having a hot chocolate'. We both went for the full Monty, cream, marshmallows and chocolate flake, with a piece each of pistachio cake.
As I removed my waterproof I realised it wasn't. The lining was totally saturated. Later I read the labels and it was only showerproof.  The rain was easing as we left the cafe,and we wandered round a few shops and a very expensive gallery in the old winch house. Paintings at £2,000 by artists I've never heard of. Perhaps I'm a Phillistine, but I often think of the Emperor's new clothes in these places.
Cape  Cornwall had been visible on our arrival, but could no longer be seen.
Cape Cornwall

Sennen Cove

We took the A30 back to St Ives, as I had been feeling a tad unwell on the outward journey. Back at the flat I found dry trousers, my socks weren't too bad thanks to Nikwax. We relaxed had a cuppa and read the papers till it was time to go out for our final meal out. I wore my new trenchcoat in case it rained, but it's only about 200 yards to the Porthminster cafe. It's a fairly unimpressive looking building, 1930s beach cafe, but the food is renowned. It is expensive, but hey! we hadn't been there for 3 years.
We both started with scallops.Then I had Hake with locally foraged herbs, and husband had John Dory. we shared a dish of potatoes and greens, but I was beginning to regret the pistachio cake.
I couldn't finish my meal, and wondered if there would ever be room for dessert. We were fascinated by what appeared to be metal trees being presented at other tables, and discovered it was the chef's new way of serving petit fours.
Eventually we decided on floating islands on lemon curd, with a scoop of raspberry sorbet balanced on a biscuit above the 'island' surrounded by bits of fruit; so artistic I could hardly bear to eat it, but about the lightest thing on the menu. after coffee, we waddled back up to the flat, regretting the steep incline even more.
I wondered if I should set an alarm to take some solstice sunrise pics. but felt too tired.
As it happened I woke at about 4.00am .I don't know why, overeating perhaps? I went into the bathroom, then crept into the sitting room. All the street  lights were still on, the tide was in and I saw two fishing boat leaving the harbour. Later  I slipped my sandals on, and my fleece and opened the balcony door, camera in hand. I could see signs of the dawn, but it was too cloudy in the East to see the sunrise.
dawn over St Ives

I understand that it was raining at Stonehenge , so perhaps they didn't even see a decent dawn.

1 comment: