Monday 25 June 2012

whether the weather be fine,

Unusually for me, I didn't budge from the flat on the Saturday evening, we watched TV channel hopping tofind something decent to watch, mostly on ITV3. We had an M&S ready meal, and later I experimented with taking night photos from the  balcony
Add caption
I had made up the bed using a mattress topper which we brought from home, and our bed linen. The bed in the flat is a very good make, a Relyon, and has a sprung base, but last time we stayed I preferred it with the topper as my disc was liable to play up. There was wedding at the Porthminster hotel, and the disco did keep me awake for a while as there was a deep thudding base, but all in all I had a reasonable night
The weather wasn't brilliant on the Sunday, but warm enough for me to go to church in a cardigan

As you can see, they have a special anniversary this year, in fact our pastor, who was pastor there for 21 years is going to preach at the anniversary service in September, DV. We had a good sermon on Romans, and the folk were friendly and chatty as usual. the were surprised to hear that it is 3 years since we were last there. The Organist has a lovely voice, sings in a local choir, and as the congregation is small he sings along.
Afterwards we ventured along the wharf, checking to see what had changed, then we wandered back to the flat, and I cooked steak with parmentier potatoes and vegetables.
We were both quite tired still after the journey and my lack of sleep, so husband went into the bedroom, and I got comfy in an armchair and we had much needed snooze. hHowever husband slept longer than me, and he didn't waken till 5.40 pm. As the evening service there starts at 6 we wouldn't make it in time.
I did go out for a walk later though, to walk off my first cream tea, but the sunset wasn't too brilliant as there was a huge bank of cloud just above the horizon


.Husband came to meet me and we walked back to the flat together.
On Monday the sun was shining, there was a bit of a breeze, but it was quite pleasant. We didn't go out very early, our aim was just to stroll around, seeing what had changed,what was new.etc. I had the first of many crab sandwiches, husband had a pasty. we were disappointed to see that the internet cafe had closed, and later on it reopened as a fudge shop. St Ives already has too many fudge shops. Husband and I got together later on and went fror a drink at Bumbles tea rooms, we sat outside and I had Assam and he drank green tea. Sadly they have got rid of the old wooden tables and chairs, and replaced them with bright orange and white plastic ones, a case of 'chuck out the chintz' I suppose. Still, the tea and cakes were as good as ever. not that I had cake on that occasion. 
people on Porthminster beach

Husband sips green tea



On Tuesday we decided to go to Truro, it was a very pleasant day, and husband and I did our usual thing of splitting up to look at different shops, then meeting up later. His type of shop bores me rigid, and vice versa. It was so warm I discarded my cardigan. being a tad more inland meant that the breeze was not too strong either. It was strange, because we had driven through a real downpour on the A30.
I found one shop I was looking for, and bought anew trench coat. My raincoat is quite elderly, and a bit on the large side. Then I found a Rieker shoe shop, and bought a pair of summer shoes identical to those I got in Chester. They are so comfy, they don't need wearing in. They were reduced in price too. Now I should be set up for a while. We came back via Sainsbury's and stocked up on some more food to see us through the week and beyond. we also had a cuppa in their new mezzanine cafe. Later I went over to the island but there was far to much cloud, so I came back. One annoying thing I discovered is that the toilets are now locked before dusk, and sitting on a windy island, then having to walk back about a mile to the flat meant I was practising lots of bladder control!
I went round the side of the island this time, under St Nicholas' chapel

Too much cloud cover

On Wednesday the weather had turned cloudy, so it was back to wandering round St Ives.  I went in the Christian bookshop next to the chapel, I was looking for a new bible as mine is falling to bits, but they didn't have many NKJVs, so i didn't bother. Later, in the evening we went to the Sea food restaurant in Fore Street. I had crabcakes, sea bass with an Asian sauce and a delicious chocolate pudding with spun sugar. I even indulged in a glass of dessert wine, unusual for me. Well, time for another break, I'm not getting on with what I should, although have pulled up some weeds, done a bit of washing, cut out some brambles, and cut back some honeysuckle. Now to wield the vacuum cleaner, we inadvertently brought some sand back with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment