Tuesday 26 June 2012

or whether the weather be not,

Thursday of the first week was the day we chose to go to Falmouth. I wore a zip up cardigan, and took a folding waterproof with me. We arrived at about lunchtime again and went up to our usual Quarry car park. Memories of the 'park and float' in the pouring rain still haunt us.That was the time I headed straight to M&S for dry clothes! As we left the car it was beginning to spot with rain. I unfolded my waterproof and put it on. We headed for the old junk/antiques shops, but they were mostly closed.
Husband then wanted to start his tour of the charity shops, so we parted company and I started off in M&S. I did think about having lunch in their cafe, but they had nothing which I fancied, so I went over the road to a place which I had seen last time we were there. It was fairly full, but after I had popped in Smiths, I went back and it was not so full, so I nipped in and sat at a small table. It was a very nice little place and to be honest I was feeling quite cold. The day was reminiscent of our trip to Harrogate last year. After a sandwich and coffee, I  moved on, but was feeling so cold that I went into this place called Mountain Warehouse. There seem to be a few of them around. they have taken over the top 2 floors (Fore Street entrance) of Woolworths in St Ives.
They were selling 3 in one jackets at a reduced price, a fleece zipped into a waterproof, which can both be worn separately. I bought one, and was so cold that I quickly found somewhere that I could put it on. Instantly I felt so much warmer, and able to carry on meandering along the winding street. I got a message from husband that he was in the Harbour Fish shop cafe, he had fancied fish and chips. I went to meet him and he bought me a coffee. Together we vsited Trago Mills, but I couldn't be bothered going in most departments, what is the point when space in the car for purchases is limited?
I was all for visiting the newish harbour complex, but it was so cold, and drizzly, and open to the weather, that I couldn't be bothered. I was dismayed to see that there was a Tesco express there. Are they taking over the world?
We wended our way back to the Moor, and laughed with a lady who suddenly spotted 'Jacob's Ladder', a long flight of steps. She thought she would be dead by the time she got to the top. I came down them many years ago, but do not recollect climbing them. I must have found an easier way back http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/img2550.htm shows what they are like.
white horses at Maenporth
 Up the hill from the Moor, past the spiritualist church and the undertaker, and we were soon in the car and on our way around the scenic route. We stopped momentarily at Maenporth Beach for a quick photo or 2. We arrived back in St Ives at around 6 pm, the weather doesn't seem to have been too bad there and it turned into a nice evening.

Friday and Saturday were reasonable days we did our usual wandering around, but Saturday evening we went to the Pedn Olva hotel for a meal. I had  a crab tian to start, we both had lamb and apricot tagine with coucous, and actually I made a mistake before. It was here that I had the chocolate pot, I'd actually forgotten that at the other place I'd had a lemon creme brulee.
It was only a short walk back to the flat from there. Another break I think, Last evening I managed to strim the lawn, so it now looks less like a meadow. Husband was trying to clear the shower head of limescale, and managed to leave the kitchen tap running and flood the kitchen, so I think I can take washing the kitchen floor off my jobs list!

No comments:

Post a Comment