Sunday 24 January 2010

A dilemma

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, but life has been so normal, not much to report on. I went off to WW Thursday, not good, but according to my scales it was blip. Afterwards I went looking for a cushion, not any old cushion, but one that does not leave me in pain when I sit. We have a new shop in our town, which sells mobility aids, and aids for the elderly and disabled. I crept in and looked at their cushions.
Officially the type of cushion for a bruised coccyx is a doughnut cushion, But according to the internet, what is really needed is a U shaped device so that everything is supported, but the spine has no pressure on it.
Boots used to sell the doughnut but no longer do, and on the internet they are about £35.00. I would have to cut a gap in the cushion, But the internet suggestion is to use a neck type cushion. I have a wedge, which I bought when my disc was bad, but the wedge does not really work. Mum In Law used it at Christmas on a dining chair, and it suited her.
When I got home I decided to carve up a memory foam pillow, putting a hole in about the same position as a wedge. That doesn't work much either. However I have found a Neck type pillow in a Telegraph supplement, so might give it a whirl.

My main dilemma though is what pain relief to take and how much. I usually just take it at night, but am suffering a lot of discomfort in the daytime. I try to walk every day, but don't know if I am doing more damage.
I cannot take Ibuprofen, because of my Asthma,and blood pressure, not much point in taking something that sends it up when I have to take a tablet to keep it down! Ibuprofen also gives me stomach pains.
When my disc was really painful I took a combination of aspirin, paracetamol and caffeine, which along with heat pads made me comfortable. Then my GP told me I was taking too much aspirin. Codeine is addictive, so I limit that to at night, and then only one. That can depress the breathing too. Our daughter was given codeine, after her op in the summer, and whilst taking her on a short trip to Sainsbury's I discovered she had a typical urticaria, so she was advised to abandon that.
I do wish that someone would invent an effective pain relief that doesn't cause side effects.
Otherwise everything is fine, Husband has nearly finished his antibiotics, so hopefully his face pain will go altogether soon. Goodness knows what we will be like when we get really old!

1 comment:

  1. I wish i had the answer to effective pain relief as does my mum - the best pain relief we have found - is rest! and definatly not doing too much but that is so difficult and not always what you want to do, so i stick with a mix of paractelmol and codine and diclofenic (anti-inflamitary)! hang in there

    ReplyDelete