Tuesday 12 January 2010

Middling Monday, Trivial Tuesday

Yesterday we woke up to a light covering of snow. I could see husband's footprints on the path where he had left for work. He works hard to keep the path clear. I realised I had a bill to pay and tried to transfer some money on-line. I couldn't get my log-in details right so phoned Abbey/Santander for help; press 1, press 2, you know the routine. I spoke to three different people, one Indian, one English and one Irish. The third one offered to resend my details. I was left wondering where their call centre(s) is (are). To be fair all these accents can be heard in this country, but it does make it difficult to know sometimes.
These details wil take up to 7 days to arrive, so I tried to pay the bill from another account on-line. Firstly I was told by the computer it did not recognise British Gas (???) Then when I got as far as paying I realised I had left the pence off, and tried to go back to correct it. I couldn't, so I left it and will check later to see if anything happened.
Having successfully wasted alot of the morning,in between loading and unloading washing machine,(how can two of us produce so much washing?) I decided to do my usual trek to Sainsbury's. I dug out husband's walking pole, as the pavements here are still treacherous.
On the way, I encountered the man who has taken over ownership of the garage that we rent for my car. I asked him why he hadn't sent a demand for the rent which was due on Christmas Day, he came out with excuses, whilst not making direct eye contact. He said I could just shove it through his door, I politely said I would rather pay by cheque, and he moaned then said I could shove the cheque through his door. Then he proceeded to tell me that from March the rent will go up by a massive 42%. He said the amount which the Council now charge had increased, so he was increasing his in line. I feel awful that as a Christian I have had such bad feelings about this man.This is partly because he has lied to me in the past, claiming ownership of the garages long before he actually owned them. When I got home I rang the Council, and although their rental is dearer, he was overstating what they charge by £4 a week.
He claims he has people 'queuing up' to rent the garages. I would gladly give mine up, but where would we store the roof box, and 2 bikes, which daughter and son-in-law can't take in their flat?.
Our son has used the roof box more than we have lately, but always brings it back for storage as they do not have much storage where they live.
In the evening we watched the second instalment of Return to Cranford, alternately funny and weepy, the ladies of Cranford are so well cast.
Today Husband woke me to say he had heard a bin lorry emptying recycling glass. we had already consulted the website, and decided it should not go up. Recycling was meant to be suspended. He checked website again and we did not put bins up. I watched in dismay as not only the recycle lorry, but later the bin lorry went up the road.
After cleaning my kitchen and more washing, I set of to get the papers and surreptitiously checked one of the few bins left out. It had been emptied. Why can't the council make up their minds, and at least stick to what is on the list, or failing that their website? Our cardboard bin is full, but collection of those is suspended.
I posted a cheque to the garage owner, and went to the paper shop, returning by a route that did not go past the garage owner's house. One day he banged on his window as I passed making me jump. Am I getting paranoid or what?
I am still finding it hard to get back into my eating plan, started counting today, and realised I hadn't kept my food diary since November. I am still dogged by tiredness, but am my own worst enemy as I don't get to bed early enough. I must get into a routine. January has always been a slow difficult month, but 26 years ago our lovely son arrived in the middle, on his Nan's Birthday, which broke up the month nicely. Now he is married he does not come home, and his Nan has long been in Glory. I no longer have to fashion cakes into Thomas or Postman Pat's van, or model Wallace and Grommit, and entertain a bunch of unruly lads. It was fun while it lasted. If you have kids make the most of them, I know it's hard work, but it has its rewards. I read a poem once that had I line in it 'my children grew up while I wasn't looking' it soon passes. Maybe one day we will have Grandchildren, then I will have to be organised!

1 comment:

  1. What i should have said is that he doesn't come home for his Birthday

    ReplyDelete