Saturday 16 January 2010

tempus (and the snow) fugit.

Well the last 2 days seem to have gone by very quickly, there is nothing exciting to report. I did however get the headphones for son's Christmas present, which I had rung up and cancelled!There was still snow yesterday and treacherous pavements, but I managed to get in a reasonably long walk. Checked up on Mum-in-law last evening, she had actually been out, I think for the first time since we took her back. Friends came and took her to the supermarket. Her heating has now been fixed, but she has a problem with her tv. Not easy for us to deal with at such a distance.
I had a very bad night last night, My lower spine was particularly painful. I may take a codeine based pain killer tonight. I try to avoid them as they do tend to depress the breathing, and with my night time attacks that is not good.
Perhaps this is too much information, but I received my 'postal bowel cancer testing kit' yesterday. I can hardly believe that it is 2 years since I did one.I have already started the test, as I am always good about such things. I have never missed a smear test, although am now told I no longer am eligible, or a mammagram, unlike my neighbour, who will not go for any tests. I don't think I am high risk, not much family history, good diet, plenty of fruit and veg, and a non-smoker. Also I did not sleep around which is a major factor in most cases of cervical cancer. ( more risk of HPV infection)
I was so late getting up today, that I was late doing most things. It had been raining for some time, and most of the white stuff had gone. I tried to put my car away, but it was difficult as someone had parked in front of my garage again. This reduced my manouevering space, and as I went forward I actually managed to make contact with the side of his bumper. There was no damage though, and I succeeded in putting the car away. Every time I looked at the clock today I could not believe how quickly the hours were passing.
We took husband's car into town, and did our usual bits, then went in search of new radiator caps, a new computer virus checker that will not slow computer, and husband also found a hose connector to fit our new taps. We moved the(growing) Christmas tree back to the patio,it was too cold to take it out last week.
I have been in a reminiscent mood lately. 26 years ago I was in labour at this moment. I had had a horrible pregnancy, the joy of learning at 14 weeks that I was carrying twins soon turned to pain as subsequent scans revealed one twin was not growing,and eventually died. The drug I took to prevent total miscarriage had horrible side effects, then I developed a rash, which was diagnosed as uppr. Many years later I discovered that it was thought to be caused by toxicity from the dead twin.
I basically shut down mentally, the only way I could cope. I refused to knit or buy any new baby clothes, and endured monthly scans. I was told after number 7 it was my last scan, then a pompous registrar ordered an eighth, so I waddled again into the scan room and heaved myself on to the bed.
I struggled to comprehend why this was all happening, but one day in my Bible I read 'Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?' Genesis 18v25. God had a purpose, and I think it has made me better able to empathise with others who have had pregnancy related problems.
Our son was born in the early hours of the morning, on my Mum's Birthday weighing 9lb4 oz. Despite the awful descent into PND, caused by the problems, we have been tremendously blessed by our Son, as we were by his sister. He was eager to keep up with her as a child and we have some lovely memories of both of them. The years have flown by, but it still gives me great pleasure to say Happy Birthday Son.

1 comment:

  1. What a horrible experience, although one which obviously brought joy too. I have always been very grateful, and never took it for granted, that my twin pregnancy was a healthy one, especially as my third pregnancy had ended in miscarriage. I have met a few people who suffered in the same way that you did, and it must be so hard.

    ReplyDelete