Saturday 2 January 2010

There and back again. (apologies to Bilbo Baggins)

Well all good things must come to an end, and as husband had Friday off, it had been decided that this would be the day that we would return Mum-in-law to her home near the South Coast. We duly all packed bags,and made sure that certain lights would come on whilst we were away, then piled into the car and off. There are 2 ways to start off the Journey, and husband chose the route past Heathrow, which although has roadworks, is better for me, as if we go the other way I tend to get flashbacks to that awful evening in July when we got the phone call, on the way down to say husband's father had collapsed. I remember the exact place where I took the call, the trees that caused the call to break up, and the subsequent feeling of panic that we were taking ages to get there.
As most of you know it was not a good outcome, so it is much easier for me to go the other way, plus the fact that we do not have to pay a toll, and the services are marginally better.
We stopped for lunch on the way, and had a good run after that, so were soon in Mum-in-law's favourite Tesco, helping her to stock up. Then back to her bungalow, and sorting out piles of post and trying to revive wilting plants.
Husband was keen to watch the final Dr Who, so I read a newspaper, and glanced occasionally at the screen, managing to get Bernard Cribbins confused with Bernard Hill.
We switched to the Italian Job afterwards, but came in halfway through, and then had the ending obscured by dinner. I was allowed to watch Miss Marple, wanting to see how Julia Mackenzie shapes up. The plot was laboured, but so many familiar faces, the detective being played by the Cranford vicar. All in all I think Julia is streets ahead of Geraldine McEwan, though not watching telly normally I did not see much of her. It was good to see Joan Collins actually looking her age too.
I managed to sleep better than I usually do, probably as we took our unused mattress enhancer. Then this morning we took our time, had a stroll round the village, picking up a few items in the shops. There is a good variety of shops, which may well change if and when Tesco build on the small site, which they have acquired, but done nothing about as usual.
After Lunch we set off home at about 3, calling at services for a cup of tea and raiding the M&S simply food for tonight's dinner. We had a good run home, and came home to a warm house as my efforts to turn the heating down did not really work. we seem to have had just ground frost again. Those of you who pray, will you please remember my Mum-in-Law, that she might not get too lonely, she said the house was so quiet when I rang to say we were back.
I've hardly washed up at all for a fortnight, and when I was dashing about before Christmas, even husband's shirts were ironed for me. I have to get back to normal. well if he has not dropped off, he will want his computer back, so blog you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment