Sunday 10 January 2010

Lazy weekend

I started off the weekend badly by getting up late on Saturday morning. I had had a bad night, having had some of my night time palpitations, and getting up, taking my inhaler, making a cuppa, and going back to bed in my dressing gown . So husband let me sleep till late o'clock. I was then behind with everything during the day. I was late taking medication, late getting washed dressed and breakfasted, and we set off for town late. We had fiddled with the radiator, and had only succeeded in making it leak. The back road is still fairly bad, so we left the car at home, and donning walking boots, braved the pavements. I had a nasty moment crossing a side road, much arm flailing, but thankfully I stayed upright.
The town centre was fairly busy, husband spotted the pasty van, declared he had had no breakfast,and was off to buy a pasty. The pavements had not been cleared, but some sort of dark brown grit had been put down on the snow. We have council employees who sweep the streets, why does their job not extend to snow clearing?
I went in Boots and their floor was awash with melted snow and brown goo. Goodness knows what is like for the shops with carpetting.
I bought the papers, but could not get my fruit and veg from the market as their were very few stalls. Our market is now in the pedestrianised area, but presumably the traders were not out because of the weather. We decide on a M&S lunch, but when we got to their cafe, there was a queue, some people had already 'bagged' tables. Whilst M&S have a polite notice asking folk to buy food before they sit down, they do nothing to enforce it. On learning that they were out of soup, we abandoned the idea of lunch out and went to their food dept, and bought stuff there to eat at home. I also bought my fruit and veg there, expensive, yes, but I couldn't face going out as second time to either of our local supermarkets. On Friday lunchtime Sainsbury's had been so bad you would have thought that food was going out of fashion. We got the bus home.
When we got home we lunched, looked at the papers, and both fell asleep. Must have been the exertion of walking to town, coupled with the disturbed night. Today has been pretty quiet. We got to church morning and evening, but were late this evening as someone seemed to be stuck at the top of the hill, and was wielding a spade. we waited at the bottom, as husband prefers to try and do it in one run, people are parking any old where so as not to climb hills, but it's quite inconvenient when they park right on the corner of our access road.
It was warmer in bed last night, and apparently did not freeze. we've had quite a steady drip drip from the roof area, but as we set off for church we were getting the tiniest snowflakes, which to my knowledge are still falling and getting bigger, so the forecast was not entirely wrong.
Daughter's husband is now ill with a cough, so I think it's just coincidence that she was ill and not the swine flu jab after all. They stayed snug today, I can't say I blame them. It's not much fun to cough all through someone's sermon. Bless him, our pastor was sweeping the snow off the steps this evening, as the kids had been throwing snowballs. He is a very humble person, and we are very blessed to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment