Saturday 26 December 2009

Christmas Day

Well yesterday was quite quiet really. I prepared at lot of stuff for lunch and put the turkey in on a low light before going to church, Unfortunately I got one of my visual migraines during our cooked breakfast, maybe I am overtired. I had not slept well at all. Then as we rushed to get to church, our garage area and the car park by church were still lethal, I must have had a massive adrenaline rush, as I had to sit for the first hymn to try and control the awful palpitations I had. We did not open our presents till we got home, all of my presents were exactly what I wanted. Hurrah for Amazon wish lists. Although one present had been bought off list, and husband had ordered the same thing from Amazon, but it had not arrived.
After church I discovered that my fears of having left a pan on low containing giblets, were correct, but they had not long boiled dry , so no damage to pan; unusable for gravy however.
Didn't quite mange to get roast parsnips right, or sausages, but it was all edible. My sister who was spending Christmas alone, partly through choice, rang between courses. She does not seem to enjoy Christmas.
After lunch and M&S choc mints we variously dozed or in my case phoned relations, then dozed. We decided to watch one of my presents, a DVD called Millions. it stars Alex Etel, who in my opinion is one of the best child actors around at present. In the film he plays a young lad, prone to 'visions', who has a great knowledge of saints. He finds a lot of money, just before Britain is due to go over to the euro.
Most of it was good harmless fun, very quirky, but one bit that made me feel uncomfortable, where the elder brother looks at something on the internet. Also, when he has a vision of St peter, there is a deliberate attempt to explain away the miracle of the feeding of the five thousand.I did not find that at all funny.
There is also mild swearing, but no warning on the box.
My son and his wife arrived at about 8pm, just in time for a late tea. they had provided Christmas dinner to two lads who would otherwise have been alone. They are sleeping in his sister's flat, which has meant I did not have to try and transform the remaining bedroom from a junkshop.
It was good to have them here, and they can lie in on Boxing Day without feeling guilty. All in all a good day

2 comments:

  1. glad you had a good day and got everything your wished for - tell ester and phil that i love them and they are wonderful for having the boys around - thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book of Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce is really good - it still has its controversial moments, but is brilliantly funny. We loved it best as an audio book read by Stephen Tompkinson which had us all laughing on a holiday in a lakes. We were soooooo disappointed with the film, but I guess thats because we loved the book so much. Glad you got lots of nice Amazon things. I must admit to having had a browse today for a short while. :)

    ReplyDelete