Saturday 26 December 2009

Is it Boxing day or not?

Well this morning I set off in search of newspapers and Brillo pads, as I had managed to burn a pan whilst making custard. I had finished off custard in Microwave, and then had to clean it out as it boiled over. Ah me!. I was surprised at the number of little local shops open, and tracked down Brillo eventually in a Co-op. When I got back Mum-in-Law had restored the pan.
I had tried again unsuccessfully to put my car away, but there is still sufficient unmelted solid ice to make the wheels spin and there are now 2 cars parked by the fence yards in front of my garage which does not help at all.
Son and Daughter-in-Law braved Watford, and Husband and I left Grandma dozing and vetured into the town centre to look for a replacement cordless phone, as ours was on its last legs. It was strange in the town centre, some shops open, some not M&S not, Dyas not, Curry's digital yes. I deposited all my Christmas money in a hole in the wall for spending later. Got 2 cordless phones, one for upstairs so I don't have to race downstairs at breakneck speed if I hear the phone. Dislike the ringtone, but hey, does it matter?. P&E already back from Watford when we arrive home, they report some shops open some not. John Lewis not. We had discovered our big Tesco is open today tomorrow and Monday, but having seen people with trolleys piled high all of last week, I wonder how they can possibly run out of anything other than the odd pint of milk. I must admit I dislike the way Tesco are taking over, they buy up land so no one else can have it then keep it empty for years before actually building on it.
Some of us had cauliflower and bacon soup for lunch but then feasted on cold cuts and wedges with veg, plus left over Christmas pud and trifle for dinner. I have a penchant for Clotted cream with Christmas pud, don't tell my weight watcher's leader, I may have to skip the first class of the New Year!
Church tomorrow, it seems odd when I only went yesterday, but that's Christmas for you. If anyone wants my cauliflower and bacon soup recipe I can post it, but it is an invented recipe, of the 'clear out any old bits from you fridge' variety

No comments:

Post a Comment