Monday 21 December 2009

Eventful Monday

Well the day started ok, I had slept well, so had Mum-in-law, and was pleasantly surprised to get post.Spent part of morning on the phone trying to get a missing direct debit payment sorted, then drove to Homebase and Sainsbury's. At Homebase stocked up on bird food, the birds are so hungry you can get right up to the table when they are on it. Sainsbury's shelves had been completely wiped clean of salt, except Maldon smoked sea salt. I managed to locate 'Road salt' at a local builder's merchants
Son-in Law rang to ask could he come here and work, as the power had gone down at work and he does not have broadband. After lunching on chicken and leek soup, I popped out to post hopefully the last cards, and return the card which was given to me in error last week. Had forgotten to get plain flour, so popped into Tesco. it was mad in there. Judging by the crowds half of the population of our town is off work. Left Tesco ASAP with flour and sweets to add to a gift.
By this time it was already snowing again. I cut open the salt and started to sprinkle it where I thought my wheels would go. As some clown had parked by the fence near my garage, I could not get the required 'swing' and ended up with wheel spin. I stomped off for more salt, flung it behind wheels, but still could not get a grip. The adrenaline rush gave me palpitations, so decided that a frozen car was better than a heart attack. Gave up and drove back to our garage area. Thoughtfully sprinkled salt down our path right to our garage for husbands sake. After 5pm, much phoning going on. St Albans in total gridlock, daughter decides to accept female colleague's offer of an overnight stay. Tell son-in-law he can stay for dinner, and bed down on sofa if necessary. Husband arrives home 8.45pm having taken about 2 hours to get from M1, 3 miles away!
After dinner Son-in Law sets off for lonely night at home. Me? I haven't warmed up since I was out putting salt down. Why is this country never prepared for snow? It is winter, which means snow is very likely. Meteorology does not appear to be a very exact science. What happened to the 'Mild and wet end to December'?

No comments:

Post a Comment