Monday 21 December 2009

Soup recipe

For IZZY, and any other soup maker.
Lentil and bacon soup
325g bacon bits (pref smoked)
325g rinsed red lentils
I med to large onion
1 ham stock cube
half teasp curry powder (optional)
good pinch mixed herbs
2 small bay leaves
1.75 ltrs water

1 remove excess fat from bacon, chop bacon and onion finely and saute together till softened,
2 Combine with rest of ingredients and bring to boil reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 mins until lentils soft.
3 remove bay leaves and blend if you like smooth soups
alternatively cook in pressure cooker, for 5 minutes at full pressure

my lardons were less than 325g so I adjusted lentils to match and used slightly less water. I blended, but not for long and there were still chewy bits of bacon. Please note that apart from the bacon there is no other fat in this recipe.
I also omitted curry powder so cannot vouch for taste if used.

I thought it was ayummy filling soup , just right for snowy weather..

No comments:

Post a Comment